iPad + 11" MacBook Air Bag Recommendations

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by illippinno, Apr 15, 2012.

1. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

Hi all,

I posted this in the Air forums to get their take, so hopefully you all can chime in :)

I'm looking for a messenger bag for my iPad + 11" MacBook Air combination. This would be an all around bag, with a professional/semi-professional look for when I have to meet with clients for work as well.

An ideal bag would be in a darker tone, with a nice clean, aesthetic look to it. Vertical orientation would be nice but not necessary.

Any suggestions would be great. I checked locally at Apple, Best Buy, Staples, OfficeMax and Office Depot, and came up short.

Thanks!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I have the same device lineup you do...and I use a 11" Waterfield Muzetto. I got mine in Black leather with white accent, but an all black version would look pretty clean as well. It works great for me, since I only like to carry the essentials for school (MBA, iPad, pens, USB cable, moleskine notebook, headphones).

It really comes down to what you need to carry in it. And of course, the Muzetto is a bit expensive, but it is the nicest leather bag I've seen, very nicely made.

3. glen e macrumors 68030

Tinbuk2 commute 2.0 or command messenger 2012 edition

or

sfbags.com cargo series....

4. rsdq macrumors member

sfbags cargo

Hi,

I'm a big SFbags fan. I have the exact same set up as you, 11" MBA and iPad, which I carry with me monday - friday. They both fit great in the small size Cargo with a little extra room for chargers, phone, book, etc...go up a size if you need more room.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/cargo/cargo.htm

For the weekends, and when I want to travel lighter, I have the muzetto in the 10" size just for the iPad.

To me the muzetto is the perfect "man purse"

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto-outback/muzetto-outback.php

The MBA 11" will stick out of the 10" muzetto by about an inch, if you want to get the muzetto for both make sure you get the 11" muzetto. Not much else will fit except for small items.

I've got the waxed canvas version, which is a little bit less expensive, and has a much more casual look than the leather. Both are very nice.

You also can't go wrong with Timbuk2 if you like that style.

5. illippinno thread starter macrumors regular

illippinno

Thanks for the advice! Someone else on the Air forum suggested this, and I'm definitely sold on this. I am thinking about the all black version, but the white accent is definitely a close second choice for me! I'm sold!

Do you carry your chargers with you on this bag? It looked like the ideal place would've been to put it outside the sleeve, but I'm sure that would be where I'd place my iPad. Would it have enough room for the charger for the Air? Or would even putting it on the outer pocket work? Or will that stick out too much?

----------

Thanks for the suggestions also! I'm leaning on the Muzetto for sure. It feels more like my style and would fit better for my needs.

6. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

7. DeusInvictus7, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I personally don't carry my chargers with me, but I have had to bring it with me a couple times and it fits fine in the outer pocket, but a bit bulky though. The only things I ever have in the main compartment is my MBA, iPad, and a moleskine notebook. That's why I'm glad I have my iPad now, since I can kind of delegate certain tasks between my devices and save battery life that way too. I've never had the need to charge while I'm on the go, so your mileage my vary on that one.

EDIT: I attached a photo I just took with all my stuff, including MBA charger, in the 11" Muzetto. I keep my pens in the zippered compartment, and my headphones in the softer small pocket in the outer compartment. I even had a calculator in the outer compartment as well.

Attached Files:

8. alau0115 macrumors regular

Not sure if it is the price range you are looking for.

Try this... it has a business look in dark colour and the exterior is brushed nylon which doesn't attract too much lint.

I can either put a single 15" MBP with InCase sleeve in the main compartment or put one iPad in a standard portfolio case and one 11" MBA with a thin body style Radtech sleeve, while still leaving space for some papers, and other personal belongings. The material is quite durable and it is made of nylon. There is even a mechanism for securing a regular mug/PET bottle inside the main compartment.

Inside the main compartment, there are two zippers and a few pockets.

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/pau...ute-laptop-bag-afxa-lugg-25643-b/product.html

9. illippinno thread starter macrumors regular

illippinno

That looks good as well, but I think the Muzetto would be on my price range and look I'm going for. Thanks for the recommendations though!

----------

Thanks for the photo!

I might do the same, and not bring my charger as much, only when I think I may be working on the Air a good amount of time that day.

But wouldn't you know, they are sold out until next production next month... *sigh*, I guess I gotta wait!

I hear they have coupons often. Did they offer one when you purchased yours?

10. Bleh5 macrumors regular

11. illippinno thread starter macrumors regular

illippinno

Wow, I would've surely gotten that for that price if it wasn't sold out. That is a deal :)

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I'm a huge fan of the Timbuk2 line. Because it has a TPU lining. Great for protecting the gear and too their bags are very durable. Also they have a lot of storage. I have a Blogger (paid $30) but you can find something equivalent to that. For my MBP I use a TUcano Second Skin Sleeve that's waterproof and a Timbuk2 Foam Sleeve for iPad. In my bag, there is a separate space for both. All fits nicely. What I like about their bags is that I can use it during the week and on weekends (overnight stays/carrying DSLR).

As for cables, yes I carry mine. I keep all the cables and earbuds inside a headphone bag. I think Seinheiser. I want to get a Tucano cable bag.

In this photo behind the MBP there is two separate comparments housed in a padded area.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/221544615/in/set-72157594246380779/

The Command is nice. I've seen those in Best Buy. But they aren't upright like the Blogger. Good luck finding the Blogger. The 2.0 version has a water bottle compartment.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/command-laptop-messenger-2012

13. minik macrumors 65816

14. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I really like my Tom Bihn Ristretto. I have one sized for the 13" MacBook Air, but they make an 11" one too:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0221

It carries a surprisingly large amount of stuff. Here's a blog post they did with an email I sent them re: what I fit into it:

http://www.tombihn.com/blog/?p=1892

Note that what I misidentified as an "Ultimate" strap is their Absolute strap. It's just awesomely comfortable.

Build quality is excellent. Tom Bihn stuff's definitely on the pricy side, but this case is well worth it.

Their iPad Ristretto is just as nice, btw. They're all the same construction, just different sizes. I bought the iPad version a year or so before getting the MacBook Air model, and both have held up wonderfully.

15. rustyosaurus, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

rustyosaurus macrumors regular

definitely the muzetto. i have the MBA 13 and the muzetto in brown leather with green accent. it's an amazing bag. i get compliments on it. it fits my MBA, ipad, all the cords/cables i need and sometimes a little extra.

the muzetto is a minimalist bag, but it forces you to pack light. i travel for work and am able to carry everything i need.

looks very professional. it was a lot of money, but well worth it.

i carry my MBA charger (but not the thick cable) and i have a little bag with various adapters. i carry my ipad charger as well if i'm traveling. i pack my MBA and ipad in the same space. the pocket directly above (outer) is where i put my cable/adapter bag, headphones and MBA charger.

i also tried the SFbags sleeve for my MBA but found it too thick/bulky. i ended up using a sleeve from crumpler which works great.

16. alptkz macrumors newbie

alptkz

Hi Rustyosaurus.

Quick question: can you use put your MBA in the Muzetto without a sleeve ? Everywhere I looked, they always use a sleeve, but I don't really want to use one. That's why I'm looking for a bag with a seperate compartment for the MBA but I do like the Muzetto. Just afraid the other stuff in will scratch the MBA.

Also if you put the MBA without a sleeve, is it very loose ?

Thanks.

17. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Lol seriously, anyone can provide some normal price bag? something for 20~40 US$ xD

I just don't feel right paying 100$ for cases/bags and stuff, I feel is not worth it.

18. glen e macrumors 68030

(LOL....seriously)..wanna go cheap?

get a backpack or bag at wal-mart or best buy...plenty cheap stuff there....

19. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Hahaha it's just that imo if I buy something that about half price an subside iPhone, ou an used iPad, i rather pay for a new one. I see a lot of people here that bought cases for 200US$ or more and thats kinda crazy!
    I loved Ben Sherman bag but unfortunately it's out of stock, i've searched the web for something like that and I couldn't find.

And I can't go to walmart because I live in portugal lol albeit I can go to a fnac store, i only see 80~100€ ugly as hell backpacks xD
    I was looking for something just like ben sherman. :)

20. Zzari macrumors member

Check out some of Case Logic's stuff. Most of it is <$25 and is great. Sure, it's not "fashionable," but it is definitely affordable and effective at protecting my gear. They have a lot of different sleeves and attaches. Personally, I have these two and love them:

For 13" MBP/MBA when putting it in my backpack or another bag:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W5V8SE

For carrying 13" MBP/MBA, iPad, Notepad, and a few accessories (pencils, calculator, charger, etc.):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SU4ED4

21. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

I'm using a Booq Taipan Shadow bag on a daily basis and I highly recommend it.

http://booqusa.com/us/shoulder-bags/taipan-shadow/TSDS-BLR

The quality of materials and manufacturing is excellent, and it easily fits either my MacBook Pro 13" or MacBook Air 11" combined with my iPad in a DodoCase or a Booq Folio plus the usual stuff (phone, keys, wallet, etc).

22. palpatine macrumors 68040

SF Waterfield Vertigo (small).

http://restlesstech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/prod_vertigo_lead_lg.jpg

I carry my 11" MBA (iPearl case), iPad (smart cover and Belkin back), external keyboard (Incase Origami Workstation), and iPhone in it without any problem. It fits just right and looks good. The only thing to note is that the MBA fits perfectly. If you have a large case (the iPearl is pretty low profile) then it won't fit.

Attached Files:

23. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Thanks! I'll check some of case logic's bags!

24. glen e macrumors 68030

It really all depends on how you're going to use a bag with your iPad. If you're constantly taking it in and out of your bag and doing long trips, being on an airplane, and a general road warrior you need something that stronger and Built well. However if your at school or in a dorm and you're just carrying it and you're not doing any damage there's no reason to do any more than a case logic. They are great bags.