iPad mini iPad 16/64/128 gb scheme?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by taptic, Sep 25, 2014.

?

Will the storage scheme be updated, or stay the same?

1. I think it will be updated to the 16/64/128 gb scheme.

86.0%
  2. I think it will stay the same.

9.3%
  3. I'm just here to make the stupid 'will it bend' joke.

4.7%
  1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Do you think Apple will implement the same 16/64/128 gb pricing scheme they have for the iPhone 6?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't. I believe they will stay with their current offerings for iPad storage. IMO, the 32 GB model is the sweet spot for most users.

3. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

The sweet spot for most users is a tablet that has a micro-sd slot. Apple's insistence on ripping people off is anything but sweet. 100 dollars to double the memory from 16 to 32 or 32 to 64 is an absolute joke.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

While I agree with the above it's not just Apple. Amazon and Google sell their Kindle Fire and Nexus devices without memory expansion. Where Apple suffers the wrath and due criticism is that they charge $100 more for 16GB whereas Google and Amazon are a more reasonable $30-40 up sell.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have two 128GB cellular AT&T Air units now. Would not be surprised if they dumped the 32GB.

I would not own one without at least 64GB, but then it depends on what you are wanting to do!

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I'm actually hoping for a good iPad line up this year due to slowing sales.

My thinking is simple:

iPad mini with retina display (current gen) keeps the 16gb for $299, the new models start at the same $399 for 32gb and then $499/$599 for 64/128.

Same with the iPad Air. Current iPad Air 16gb drops to $399, new iPad Air starts at $499 for 32gb and then $599/$699 for 64/128. It would also be a welcome if they drop the price of cellular models from $130 to something a bit more reasonable, but I'm doubting that.

With it known that iPad sales are slowing I truly believe Apple needs to be aggressive to entice new buyers and upgraders.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

That's what people said when the iPhone 6 was rumors to be 16,64,128.

The dynamics of the iPad are different since they are not subsidized. I would be slightly surprised if they did not change it. Someone with a 16 GB air might not upgrade if they think apple is ripping them off. A 600$ 64 GB air might be incentive too.

----------

This makes the most sense!!

8. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I think the idea of being ripped off is why Apple will drop the 32 GB model.

I've always bought the 32 GB model of the iPhone, but I grew to resent it. I was paying $100 for 16 GB of storage, when another $100 would give me an additional 32 GB. When the 128 GB option became available then it just became insulting, as $100 would give you an additional 64 GB at the high end. $100 for 16 GB was a clear ripoff.

It seemed like Apple's best bet would be to drop 16 GB entirely and make 32 GB the new low, but what they did was pretty smart. There are plenty of users who claim that 16 GB is enough for their uses; they'll keep buying the base model. What Apple cares about is the people who want to buy more storage. Paying $100 to go from 16 GB to 64 GB no longer seems like a ripoff; in fact, it seems like a very good deal compared to where we were before. They've essentially halved the cost of upgrading from 16 GB to 64 GB. That might get more people to go for the upgrade, and it should also stifle some of the criticism about Apple products being overpriced for what you get. At the very least, upping the base model to 32 GB wouldn't get more people to pay for the higher-storage models (if anything, it would reduce that number), and it would come at an increased cost to Apple.

I've always used 16 GB iPads, but figured that the next upgrade cycle I'd go for one step up. I'm accumulating too many books and useful apps for the 16 GB model. If they mirror the iPhone storage options, I would seriously consider going for a 128 GB option. Heck, it'd also be $100 cheaper than the same option on the previous generation :p

10. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I've been saying forever that the $130 markup for cellular is absolutely ridiculous. The extra parts cost nowhere near that. I understand Apple charges a premium, but in 2014 it's insulting to charge that much. That pricing element has been there since the first generation iPad and it's time for it to go.

In a perfect world, there wouldn't even be a distinction between a Wifi only and Wifi+4G model. There should just be one model that has everything, and sold at the current Wi-Fi prices. Even a $50 upcharge would be easier to stomach. But $130 is too much to justify.

11. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I think so, and I definitely hope so.

I knew I was getting a 64GB iPhone this year to replace my 32GB. Apple's pricing model saved me $100 toward my iPad. Likewise, I know I will be getting a 128GB iPad to replace my 64GB, so if Apple does the same thing they'll save me another $100 which can go in the bank for my next Apple product. :D

I agree that however annoying, it was really genius to make the base model 16/64/128. Most people who bought the base model would continue to do so whether it was 16 or 32. Where they really made the money were those $100 upgrades, but at 16/32/64 they were really starting to stretch it. The 16/64/128 is a much better deal. Those who always upgrade are happy and will continue to upgrade and some of those who wouldn't pay the money to go from 16 -> 32 may now pay to go from 16 -> 64. With the low price of storage it's really a win-win for Apple.

12. Angriff macrumors member

Ironically, the 32 GB model changing to 64 GB actually pushed me to go back to a 16 GB iPhone 6. I went to a 32 GB iPhone 5S because I was worried about having enough space for photos and videos, and with iOS 8 coming with the ability to automatically prune Messages history and iCloud Photo Library coming as well, I was already thinking about going back to a 16 GB model but probably would've stuck with 32 GB if it had been available. But thinking about the vastness of 64 GB on a phone and how I'd never fill it since I don't keep music or TV/Movies stored on my iPhone really made me decide to go back down to 16.

I will probably go with a 32 GB (or 64 GB if that is the 2nd lowest storage option) for my iPad Air2 however, since I use wifi only models and I like to put some video on it when I am traveling. I would really love to see the base model of the Air come with 32 GB as another feature differentiating it from the Retina Mini but I don't expect that to actually happen.

13. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

You wouldn't rather have 64GB at the same price?

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

This doesn't make much sense to me. The removal of the 32 GB option doesn't mean that you're being forced to pay $200 to go from 16 GB to 64 GB. It's the same $100 price difference as before, only now instead of getting an additional 16 GB for your $100, you're getting 48 GB. If you weren't going to pay extra to go from 16 GB to 32 GB then that's fine, but the fact that you're getting more for your money now should mean that you'd be even more enticed to make that upgrade, not less.

15. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

So you downgraded because you were getting more for same price?

That's absurd!

16. Angriff macrumors member

No, I downgraded because I saw no point in buying more than I need, regardless of the price. Obviously I can afford to spend $100 more, but I'm not going to do so when I don't need it. The fact that it went to 64 GB just reinforced the fact that it was more storage than I actually needed.

17. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Yup. I didn't like the idea at first, but I'm enjoying my 64gb phone now. I hope they do cause I'll be upgrading my 32gb rMini.

18. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Absolutely, they will move to 16/64/128. It is such a smart/slick move by Apple. I've almost always bought the 32GB. This time (before the iPhone 6 announcement), I actually contemplated getting the 16GB this time. Since what I used to pay for an extra 16GB is now 48GB, I gladly (or less grudgingly) gave them an extra $100. Had they made the base 32, I definitely would've saved the $100, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. That's many more millions for them.

19. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

Well if it was the same price then of course! :)

20. noles1983 macrumors regular

I would rather them join 2014 and drop the 16gb and have the 32gb be standard.