Ipad 16gb Wifi - 3g dongle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by antdawe, Jun 30, 2010.

1. antdawe macrumors regular

I have a wifi 16gb ipad. However I do not have the 3g version.

Is there any 3g dongles or another way for it to connect to 3g without having to sell it and buy a 3g version.

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

You might consider the new Virgin Mobile MiFi. No contract, pay as you go, and it can accept five connections.

3. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

Will this work in the UK?

4. palz macrumors regular

You should look into local providers if you live in the UK.

5. DarkStarr macrumors newbie

6. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

7. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Three are about to start selling an updated version...the e585 any day now.......they are flogging off the old ones on their website for 49 quids

8. Tulipone macrumors 6502

Any idea of the dirrences between the two? The Three mifi was shortly to be on my shopping list but I can wait if I need to.

9. scottjames1uk macrumors newbie

Mifi

I have the 3 mifi and it works fine, what will the new mifi have on different?

10. richardmu macrumors 6502a

The updated one is known as the 'one touch' version. Only one touch to connect to 3G instead of 3 with the current one. It also has admin software for the Mac.

11. scottjames1uk macrumors newbie

Dongle

Thanks for that. It is a bit of a pain pressing the 3 buttons. The new one should be better then.

12. antdawe thread starter macrumors regular

Using one of these devices would surely just mean a connection to a wifi spot. As a result I won't have any restrictions for downloading apps, low quality YouTube, iplayer etc as my iPad is connected to wifi right?

13. MRU Suspended

MRU

Yes you just use the three software, then change the APN on the device. That's it. I bought one from the UK ebay unlocked too, as they were not in Ireland at that stage. Works no bother at all with both Vodafone, O2 & 3 sims here. Even the iPad microsim in an adapter works with it.

Yes. That's my bug bear with my 3G ipad, I use spirit to JB simply for 3G unrestrictor & categories. I know iOS4 will sort out the categories somewhat but the restriction on 3G is a balls. They should at least have an option to allow users to choose optimized or full access with 3G in the settings. Some of us with 15GB or Unlimited contracts shouldn't pay the price for those with 250mb 3G limits.

Cool. Must check that out. The old one was a bit convoluted really.

14. biffarino macrumors member

could have done with 3 letting me know that this this afternoon when i ordered one. :rolleyes:

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

If you have an old Nokia phone around, or maybe SE you csn download and install JoikuSpot (€9 - www.joikuspot.com) and create a wireless access point that you catake anywhere. I used this solution for about 3 weeks until I got my 3G iPad. It works great and is stable.