ipad 1's acting weird

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thekb, Mar 28, 2012.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

Just in the last day or two, my iPad 1 has starting acting weird. It's very slow to swipe from screen to screen, lots of crashes, Word with Friends will not run, text in strange places in some apps and weirdest of all, one time there was a completely misaligned icon on one of my home screen pages. Like on a computer if you had dragged an icon out of the grid and it stuck there. A reboot seemed to fix that, but it's still part of a general weirdness going on.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I am 8 days out of my 1 year warranty and if it's about to die, I'd be very bummed. Would Apple do anything about it or do they ever allow exceptions to buy Apple Care very slightly out of the 1 year time period?

2. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Did you try quitting all the running apps? Double tap the home button, then press and hold each icon until a "-" appears which you press to quit. I didn't know about that for some time and I regularly quit the apps now.

Rebooting does not quit the apps btw.

Sorry if you already know this. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

3. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, sea dragon. Yeah, I quit all apps, then held the reset button at the top of the device to shut it down and reboot. That cleared up the errant icon, but still having slowness and other minor display and operational issues.

Anyone know if there are any diagnostic type apps that can be run on iPad? I did not see any in App Store, but may have just missed it.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It's because it's jealous of the new iPad.....

So when was the last time you restored your iPad? If it's been over 1.5 years, it may be time to do a restore. The reason for this is that over time, it's possible for some system files to corrupt. When this happens on Windows, you get the Blue Screen Of Death. On an iPad, you just get slower performance and occasional bugs.

5. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Yeah I was gonna say, sounds like time for a restore. The hour it'll take to set back up will be worth it.

6. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

How exactly do you go about doing that without disrupting the data already on it? Got a good link to read up on it?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45