iPad iPad 1st Gen - Is there any hope?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by felipecdaiuto, Nov 18, 2015.

?

Changing the battery, it will work?

1. Yep

2. Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. felipecdaiuto macrumors newbie

Hello guys!
    I have an 1st Gen iPad that was kept in a drawer for a few years. For that reason the poor little guy don't boot up anymore, even with the 10watts charger attached. The only thing it does is blink its screen, like in the video below:

My question is: if i change its battery, it will work again?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It's possible, but I personally wouldn't pay the cost when it's unclear whether the new battery would help. That flashing behavior looks more like a logic board-type failure than a battery issue, to my non-expert eye. Maybe someone with more expertise can weigh in.

3. felipecdaiuto thread starter macrumors newbie

A few months ago it at least used to show the Apple's logo, and I could put it in iTunes recover mode. But it stayed in the drawer... I guess the battery died for real...

4. Floorless macrumors newbie

Floorless

I've had a PS3 game controller that remained unused for a few years.

In trying to use again I noticed that the battery would not charge at all. Thinking it was completely dead, I for some strange reason kept trying for 2 or 3 more days of charging for a few hours and unplugging. Usually it would instantly power off but suddenly the battery revitalized, recharged and held its charge again. It still works now.

But, I would remain on the belief that the battery has completely fizzled.
    I'm not sure if by the video the flashing is the screen backlight going on and off in a relatively dark room or if the entire display is turning on and off. But yeah I too usually guess power as the first possible cause of issues like that.

Would be interesting to see what "apple genius" staff make of it. Who knows, they might even be able to test another battery for you?

5. felt. macrumors 6502a

Allowing lithium ion batteries to discharge below a certain voltage will permanently damage them. Not saying that's what happened here as I would expect apple to have some sort of low voltage cutoff protection built in. My ipad1 is stil going strong. I have let it die and sit uncharged for months and it still works. These batteries are rated for 1000 charge cycles usually so that's a little around 3 years of daily charges (from empty) before the battery becomes degraded, more cycles if you charge from not empty.

The battery costs less than the resale value of the ipad1, so that's good at least.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

My iPad 1 still has a resale value? That's news to me!

7. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Mine has an issue where it won't charge unless it runs completely dead, then it will charge again.

But in the case of this OP, I think the iPad is damaged. I don't think recharging it is the issue.

8. harriska2 macrumors regular

harriska2

I just sold 2 iPad 1s for $50 each. They worked well and had cases. Sometimes schools will take them as a donation.