iPad 1st Gen unrecognized by iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by tellprescott, Jan 30, 2012.

1. tellprescott macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks for looking at my thread. I know there are so many of these every day and it's usually the same problem that requires a little troubleshooting. I've been trying for a while now to figure this out myself with no luck.

My iPad was jailbroken with redsn0w, and things went smoothly for a while. (1) First problem was that iTunes wouldn't recognize the iPad. (2) A few days later it stopped charging. The iPad acknowledges that it is plugged in, but gives the (Not Charging) text next to the battery. (3) I found that if I turned off the iPad and left it plugged into the wall it would charge*. (4) At this point I decided to do a factory reset. I'm not sure if this was a bad idea or not given that the iPad was jailbroken. I didn't research it I just went for it. I figured it would delete all the jailbroken files I would simply have to re-install the original ipad software. (5) iPad is now stuck in boot/reboot mode and iTunes will not recognize it. (6) My computer DOES acknowledge that a USB device has been plugged in when I connect the ipad in DFU mode but iTunes does not prompt me saying there is an ipad in restore mode connected to the computer, and computer doesn't recognize the device.

This all occurred in a period of 6 months and I've had a useless iPad for a while. If you have any ideas, or questions I'm open to trying anything. I don't have a whole lot of experience with these types of things, but I'm not entirely ignorant.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this. Take 'er easy.

*At this point I no longer have my original iPad charger, and am using a different wall to USB charger. I suspect this might be one of the reasons (3) happens but I don't have the money to buy a new iPad wall charger. Let me know if this is the case.

2. biohead macrumors 6502

Seeing as no-one has responded yet, i'll have a go for you.

1: What operating system does your computer use? Windows or OS X? If Windows, it's likely a driver issue.

2: The iPad requires a more beefy charger (2A @ 5V, not the normal 1A @ 5V provided by an iPhone charger). A typical USB port / cheapo USB charger provides just 0.5A @ 5V.

3: This reflects the much lower current provided by the charger. It takes much longer to fill the battery. It's so slow that the iPad is using more power than it is receiving whilst it is turned on.

4: That was a mistake. You can't use the Reset options when jailbroken or it does this. At least you know for next time now.

5: See 1
    6: See 1

If you can, try restoring on another computer. I found that my brother's laptop, nothing I did could sort out iTunes not recognising the iPod. Removed iTunes, wiped the drivers etc. In the end, as it was still running XP I too the opportunity to update it to 7.