iPad 1st gen warranty issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by keaton85, Aug 10, 2012.

1. keaton85 macrumors newbie

My Mom had her 1st gen iPad replaced under warranty 8 months ago. Now the backlight will not function all the time. Only about a quarter of the time will the backlight turn on after sleep. You can tell the iPad is working since you can see the LCD display if you put it up to the light and tilt it just right.

Anyway, she brought it into the apple store and had a horrible experience dealing with the genius bar. They were ignoring her and just told her to come home and restore it! Well I restored it and still won't work and neither will the brightness control.

She hardly ever uses it and it sits on her desk in a non-smoking dry house!!!

Have any ideas to deal with this as this is pretty messed up to have an iPad go out after 8 months...

Thanks!!!!

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Did she have an appointment with the genius? If she did and that's all she got as an answer, I'd call the store and ask to speak to the manager...

3. keaton85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, had an appointment...

I don't know if calling the manager or calling apple directly will work best...

4. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

I remember seeing someone having the same problem a little while ago, turn out a cable had disconnected inside the unit, which caused the backlight to malfuntion.

One thing is for sure, after an experience like that, I would fully expect to have it repaired/exchanged on the spot, no fee, even if it's out of warranty, provided there is no physical damage to the unit of course...