iPad iPad 1st Gen

batterypower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Okay...i know the first Gen is pretty old..and i have the ipad air, mini, and ipad 3, but i watned to give my first gen iPad to my mom, whom really just needs an easy to use tablet to watch some hulu videos... since i had alot of apps on the ipad i decided to do a factory restore...

and this is what happens......

after "restoring" the ipad turns on toe the apple logo and stays there forever...
it has some of these colorful dots on the side that run up and down the side like it's "loading" but definitely not loading... lol

it was "restoring" overnight... haha

so now i'm left with a block of metal.

has anyone experienced this...?
how to fix it or am i s#1t out of luck?

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Dude, you need to drop that thing off with the next homeless person you see and let nature take its course.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I have a first gen mint condition--it is a great machine, an excellent web browser, and still gets excellent battery life. It is iconic tech--and it will fetch $75 at gazelle. Wish I knew someone who would appriciate it--seems a waste to have it sit in my closet

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Okay...i know the first Gen is pretty old..and i have the ipad air, mini, and ipad 3, but i watned to give my first gen iPad to my mom, whom really just needs an easy to use tablet to watch some hulu videos... since i had alot of apps on the ipad i decided to do a factory restore...

and this is what happens......

after "restoring" the ipad turns on toe the apple logo and stays there forever...
it has some of these colorful dots on the side that run up and down the side like it's "loading" but definitely not loading... lol

it was "restoring" overnight... haha

so now i'm left with a block of metal.

has anyone experienced this...?
how to fix it or am i s#1t out of luck?
Did you have any backups? You could restore from backup if you did.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Was it jailbroken? If it was, you can't just factory restore it from the device itself. You have to put it in DFU mode and restore it from iTunes.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
To bad you didn't take advantage of the generous $200 trade-in Target was giving.

Your parents would have loved an Ipad Air that does not crash for $300 or so:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.