iPad 2.0

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aadhil, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Aadhil macrumors regular

What do you expect to be on the iPad 2.0 which presumably will be released this fall? Hopefully this will be my first one :)

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

I don't expect the release to be until next June because several countries are still waiting for the first iPad to be released.

Having said that, front facing camera and retina display seem like obvious ones. I also imagine a RAM bump up to 1gb.

4. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The iPad was just released this Spring, why do you think it will be updated in the Fall? All other devices like the iPad are on a yearly update cycle so I'm guessing next Spring.

There's a chance it could get updated this winter but I think chances are slim.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If anything gets updated it will be the new iPhone 4! It needs an internal antenna! LOL!

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

It's hilarious that this thread gets created every few days.

Another part that is hilarious is how people ignore the history of the iDevices and just assume that a new iPad with a camera will be released in the Fall just cause they want it to.

8. MikeTemple macrumors member

MikeTemple

I have a sense of Deja Vu...

It is highly unlikely that iPad 2.0 will be out until Spring next year at the earliest.

It will definitely not have a retina display. It would make it far too expensive, and doesn't even exist at that size.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually because of poor sales/demand and the fact that the factory is idle the iPad 2 will be out early summer and the iPad 3 will be released in the fall. Hopefully one of these will sell well enough so that Apple won't have to release the iPad 4 before x-mass.

10. iNewMacBoy macrumors newbie

It is probably going to get release a year from now, if not later, because of the high demand, and because it is not available in A LOT of countries yet. Keep wishing :).

Retina Display (Very Likely)
    A5 Processor (Dual Core) (Likely)
    1.5GHz (Very Likely)
    iOS 4
    New Design? To match the iPhone 4's or the newer iPod Touch?
    FaceTime [Front Facing Camera (3.1 Mega Pixels most)]
    OLED (Maybe? But I don't think so...)
    4G (Very Unlikely)
    New Antenna Design (A step from the iPhone 4's but w/o the reception issue)
    Tethering?

11. cakbar macrumors regular

Not sure what will be on 2.0, but why not wait for 3.0, which presumably will be released this winter. Or you could even wait for 4.0 which presumably will be released in the spring.

Oops, just noticed that someones sarcasm is 2 posts faster than mine.

12. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I must say that an iPad is very interesting to me. It would be great to have a better display, more ram and face time.

I also wouldn't mind an sdxc reader as well for photo downloading. Or at least a way to download photos perhaps with my eye-fi pro card.
    Until then I doubt that I will be buying.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Fall... Lol

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

If only it was that simple. When (if?) those feature finally appear on the iPad there will be more features available on other items that will likely make the iPad less appealing to you.

15. InteriorDEV macrumors member

Answers in bold

16. toxic macrumors 68000

people need to stop thinking about a retina display. the iPad screen is roughly 8" high. that means a retina display requires at least 2400x1800 pixels - nearly that of a 30" Cinema.

do you really think a portable device will have the GPU power to process that many pixels in the next year?

17. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

Haha
    Apple might as well skip to iPad 10 (coming in august)

18. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

If not retina, how about a higher resolution? I'd like to see 1280x960, assuming Apple is unwilling to budge on delivering a widescreen aspect ratio. 1280x960 could run iPhone 4 resolution apps with a nice pixel-to-pixel unscaled ratio while minimizing the pixels wasted to black bars. It would also make the screen perfectly display 720p HD video with no scaling and minimized black bar wastage.

Actually, I don't know why that wasn't the iPad's resolution in the first place. 1024x768 just seems so bizarre. It's an ancient res. It has nothing in common with the iPhone's res, the new iPhone 4's res, or HD movie resolutions. No matter what it does, it has to scale. Wouldn't all that scaling chew up more CPU than just supporting 1280x960 natively?

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

If it's cost-effective when the next gen comes out, you'll see it.

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Keep the current resolution, but put it on a smaller, leaner iPad.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Will be released in the fall, with 3.5" display and called the iPod touch or itouch.

:rolleyes:

22. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

Lol what on earth. The first gen has only just been released and is still not available hardly anywhere and people think a new one is coming in fall? Are you really that stupid people. Your looking till at least next spring or summer before gen 2 is released and more than likely later than that as demand ain't as high as they would like.

23. JulianL macrumors 65816

They won't put retina display in the next iPad because that has already been done now in the iPhone so it won't be a big enough deal and won't be enough of a surprise.

The next thing that might be impressive is to go for more than 10,000 pixels across because that's a big looking number so the iPad in the fall will have a 10,000 x 7,500 pixel screen. I think it might need an A5 to drive that resolution but that might not be ready in time so I think it is much more likely that they will have to over clock the existing A4 a little bit, maybe up to about 1THz. This probably won't increase power consumption at all because Apple will "do something really clever" to avoid that (I can't reveal my source for that last piece of information).

- Julian

24. Angryipadguy macrumors regular

I would love to see a 10k x 7.5k screen and a 1thz CPU. Maybe not in my lifetime but we can only hope.

Maybe fall 3010 from apple. HTC will have that out next year.

25. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

just hope it's the same size!

Because I would hate to admit how much I put into cases for this thing. . .