iPad 2 16Gb memory

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tritons, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hi
    I would like to know how much memory iPad 2 16Gb actually have. I mean how much it shows up in itunes.
    And is it enough for normal usage?

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

The iPad 16GB storage memory will show up somewhere around 13.5GB to 14GB. :)

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with my 16GB ipad. First I had a 32 GB Wifi, then I wanted 3g so I switched 3G 3g. Now I have the same for iPad 2 - 16G/3G.

When I had the 32GB i would load it up with a bunch of movies but I never watched them. They just took up space.

I don't store music on the ipad. My iphone is used for that. Navigon is my one large-space app. Other than that most space is podcasts, videos, and audiobooks.

There are plenty of things you can do to use the space efficiently:
    -Use streaming apps - downcast, slingbox, air video, netflix, etc
    -Use the SD card reader and play video from there
    -Sync one movie at a time, sync often

4. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys
    My biggest concern whats that even if it's calld 16gb I'll have about 12Gb.
    I do love HD movies, but I think I'll sync more often as we will be able to sync using wifi in iOS 5.

Last thing I haven't decided is if I want black or white.
    Which one do you have and why?

(Friend of mine will get iPad 2 for me from UK in 31. July, cuz in Latvia they are extreamly expensive.)

5. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Get white with a red leather smart cover.

White is classic and I haven't regretted my purchase yet.

6. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thing that I'll do most on my iPad will be watching movies, so I think I'll go with black one. which smart cover would go best with black iPad?

7. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Hmm maybe a beige polyurethane.

But the white bezel doesn't have an affect on watching movies or anything that requires sustained viewing of the screen. That was a rumor before it dropped. Many have changed their tune since then.

8. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if you are right, look at those pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

There's a significant difference between looking at a picture and actively using the device.

I've had the black bezel with the iPad 1 and now the white with the 2. I haven't noticed any decline in viewing pleasure.

Either way, it's a great device in any color and 16GB is plenty enough.

10. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll still go with black one.
    which smart cover would you get for black one?

11. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I've got both the black leather and blue polyurethane. If I had to choose, I'd get the red leather one.

EDIT* Here's Apple's interactive Smart Cover site. It shows what all of them will look like.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/smart-cover/

12. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

I have the 16gb white with the Blue Smart Cover. I love the looks of it and have no problem viewing movies, the blue does get dirty pretty quickly but fortunately being polyurethane it can be wile of quickly.

13. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Same here, but black iPad the blue looks nice though, also I get 13.5gb of free space.

14. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you man.
    I'll go with black iPad and Blue cover as I dont want to spend so much money for leather.

15. LanEvo macrumors 6502

For me I'd recommend grey or black bc they Don't get dirty as easilY. While the others may look nice, they get dirty easily, but it depends on what you like as well. Buy from amazon for some other source where it's cheaper as well... Not the iPad but the smart cover.

16. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If they do get dirty, (mine hasn't in over a month), the polys wipe off really easily with a damp cloth. Can't say the same for the leather since you'd need to get a leather cleaner.

17. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

Agreed the poly is real easily wiped off and once I got something on it that wasn't coming off, I put a tiny drop of dishwashing liquid on a damp cloth and that did the trick.

18. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for your replys, I really appreciate it.
    Apple community is just awesome. :apple:

19. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Looks like the guy on the black iPad is interested in the white one, notice him looking over :D

20. aneftp macrumors 68040

If u plan on playing lots of games I would suggest getting the 32GB.

I have 20 plus games om my iPad and the apps alone take over 23GB of space.

Movies I wouldn't worry much about because u really only need to carry 4-5 with you for a trip amd I handbrake them. Each handbrake apple tv2 format on the iPad takes about 1-1.5th per movie.

The cool thing about iOS 4.3 amd up is while on your home network you can stream all your music from your computer to the iPad.

With cloud storage shouldn't be an issue.

So the key thing is your app storage. How many games do u intend to play. If very little than go with the 16gb model.

21. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL, so white one attracts more people. :D

It's awesome that I will be able to whach movies from my pc on iPad.
    But thing about games is that I'm not really in to them on mobile device, I mainly use my home PC for gameing. But I will be playing some games, like Cut The Rope, Angry Birds and may be few other games when I'm not in home, but I don't really think that I'll have even 10+ games :D

Actually you made me a bit curious, what are your top 5 favorite games for iPad 2 and why?

22. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I know you didn't ask me, but mine are Infinity Blade, Dead Space HD, Real Racing 2 HD, NBA Jam and Monopoly. I favorite these as these are as close to console games I can get.

Each one of those games are roughly 250 MBs to 500 MBs a piece. I've said this before, if you can afford a 32 GB, get it. Storage space is not something that can be added later.

23. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

So then I'll go with 32Gb iPad, thanks.
    I looked at reviews of Infinity Blade and Dead Space HD, I loved Dead Space 2 on PC, awesome game but on iPad I really didnt like looks of it and isn't Infinity Blade just booring?

One more very important thing, if I get iPad 2 32Gb 3G version in Uk, will I be able to use 3G in Latvia?

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

To be honest, I play mainly racing games and sports. Always try to buy them when they are on sale. You can usually get great deals...unless you really want it.

Like I have NBA Jam HD, Real Racing 2 HD, Madden, Monopoly HD, Spiderman (that or NBA Jam HD are my favorite games).

Like the other posters said, games are starting to take up a lot of storage space (especially iPad specific games 500MB and up).

Some smaller games like Anger Birds, board games don't really take up much space.

25. Tritons, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok Spiderman is one of few games that looks cool, how much space does it take? One more that I really liked from youtube videos is Bad Company 2.

E: Shows up on iTunes 407mb.

What is top 5-10 apps that you love or use most?