iPad 2 2,4? Any patterns showing up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stoneysilence, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Stoneysilence macrumors newbie

I bought a iPad 2 today hoping to get the new 2,4 revision. I bought it at Best Buy and they were unaware of this new update so the guy called their Apple rep and said they should have them. I bought a black 16GB (even though the back is grey not black...) and it is a 2,1.

Am going to return it tomorrow, should I try a white? Is there any patterns showing up like only whites are 2,4 (like is shown on Andantech) or is it both colors and just a real crap shoot in getting one?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I got a WiFi-only 16 GB black iPad 2 about a month ago. When I plug it into a Mac and check out the System Report, the iPad shows as version 2.40. I'm assuming this means it's the 2,4 version.

I guess that answers the question in a roundabout way, unless someone can refute the logical thinking as to how the device is being reported by the Mac.

3. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

You can tell from the device itself. Go into settings/general/about/diag & usage/diag & usage data. Check a log and it'll have the version listed. I didn't think that anything other than 2,4 were being built. They must've had an old model. I wouldn't accept anything but a 2,4 IMO

4. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am disappointed, I went back to Best Buy and they wanted to test their open box supply first before giving me a new one again. Went through several of their open box ones and all were 2,1. They finally relented and gave me a new one. Just got home and it's a 2,1. :(

And this one they just got in today because one of the employees said they sold the last black 16gb that morning but the employee who was helping me found one.

This is really annoying and I am starting to resent Apple for creating this mess (and all the Best Buy employees were hating on Apple for it too).

5. biohead macrumors 6502

Why does it matter so badly between a 2,1 model and a 2,4? Apple never created this mess, they never advertised a difference between 2,1 and 2,4.

The 2,1 is perfectly fine - enjoy it!

6. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

If the whites are 2,4's, did you try getting one of them?

7. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

Lol funny post....

The 2,4 has 32nm processing = lower battery consumption and less heat.

8. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5789/the-ipad-24-review-32nm-a5-tested/2

I need the extra battery life. And just because they didn't advertise it doesn't mean squat. They still manufactured it and made it so that there is no way to tell the difference except opening it and turning it on.

9. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess it's not going to matter because yesterday after setting it up and playing with it for a few hours I was feeling sick to my stomach and getting a slight headache. I wrote it off as dinner or something...

Tonight I was messing around with it again and again the headache and sickness started to come back.

So looks like I am going to have to return it and get something else. Wonder if I can borrow the extra $100 from my parents for the new iPad and see if that causes the same issues.

10. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Check the ambient lighting in the room to make sure it's not flickering or anything.

11. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

The room light is the same as it always is and I use my laptop in this room for 8 hours a day without issue.

Tried out my sisters iPad 3 for awhile and the sickness remained. Usually if I stop doing what is causing the problem the sickness goes away. This did not occur while using her iPad.

12. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Ok, what were you doing thoug? Playing a game or just surfing the net or something else?

13. biohead macrumors 6502

I understand that but it's not like it doubles or triples battery life, nor does the iPad 2 get hot to start with. First world problems eh?

Stoney: How long are you using it in one session? Tried using it for say an hour then having 15 mins off?

And if you must have a 2,4 - do you have an Apple store near you? They're still not guaranteed to hold any stock of them, but likely have a much higher turnover of iPad 2's so their stock would be replaced much more regularly.

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

OP I think you have the notion stuck in your head that you absolutely need the newer version when in reality the older versions never ever ever get warm(still own my original iPad 2 from launch) and as far as battery life goes I literally could use the iPad 2 for days in between charges.

Do yourself a favor buy an iPad and enjoy..save gas and time

15. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

Both, everything.

Surfed some news apps, read some comics, played a few games (Sonic Racers game really made me sick quickly), surfed some website.

Played with it again tonight for a few hours and I got nauseous again.

I used it every night for 2-3 hours fairly non-stop. I am used to using electronics for hours on end (programmer). Stopping for 15 minutes every hour doesn't solve the issue because it will go away toward the end of the 15 mins but returns instantly soon as I use it again.

I love the iPad and am pretty sad that I am unable to use it. Used to have a iPhone 3G and didn't have an issue with it. *shrug* Can't fight your body when it does funky stuff for weird reasons.

----------

Unfortunately I need the extra 1 hour or more that the new one provides. I will be in a location where recharging in the middle of the day is not possible and I will be using it heavily for 8 hour straight (not just light duty apps/web surfing), heavier duty stuff that drains the battery fairly quickly.

But it's a moot point now since my body says no to the iPad.

----------

The nearest Apple store is about 40 miles away, but our Best Buy got a brand new shipment in that morning when I traded it in. Because one employee said he sold the last one that morning but the employee that was helping me found some more that had just come in. From what the Anandtech article said, Apple is still manufacturing both models.

16. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it may not be the iPad causing the issue, it just was bad timing. I think I may be getting sick. I haven't used my iPad at all today and yet I have a low grade headache and my stomach is feeling a bit nauseous. Will keep my iPad for a few days and then try it again. If I keep it I am still going to try to get the 2,4 revision.

17. Stoneysilence thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up returning it. Even though I seem to have low grade nausea all the time right now it is ramped up 10 fold whenever I use the iPad. May try to the iPad again at a later time after I figure out what is going on.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple is a mass market consumer electronics company. It is unreasonable to expect to go through any retailers inventory to obtain a specific unit. That's simply not how it's done.

19. Redjericho, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I bought 2, one black at&t 3G, one white wifi, from the apple website, both are 2,4.

Trust me, the effort you are putting forth to get this new processor isn't worth it. I also own a 64gb vzw 3G without the new chip, and I do not notice a single difference, not in battery life (maybe 30 minutes difference absolute max and only that much when doing processor heavy tasks, like unzipping/decompressing/decrypting a multi-gigabyte file), and most certainly not in heat.

I don't know what those tests were doing, but in average use, unless you have absolutely nothing better to spend your time doing, or that 30 minutes/charge cycle is of dire importance, you are only going to feel like you wasted your time.

As far as any specific model having the chip, I doubt it, unless they felt like excluding vzw for w/e reason.

The 1 hour or more that those tests were saying will only exist if you plan on running their benchmark the entire time, which minimizes display usage and then pushes the processor to its absolute limits. If you plan on actually using your iPad for what it is designed for (using applications, watching movies, browsing the web, really anything other than console commands on a jailbroken device), 20 minutes is what you are going to see.

It's not the processor that drains the battery, it's the display, which didn't change.

And FYI, when I started using my iPad for many hours on end, I also got bad bad headaches, even though I also use electronics for the majority for my day, sort of behind my eyes, but don't worry, they cease after about a week and a half. I drain the iPad battery daily, sometimes recharge and use it even more before night, and I don't get problems any more.

20. TinyBFK macrumors member

21. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I got a headache on my first macbook pro. It was a 15 " and i returned it because it wasn't as portable as a 13, # got one of those a year later, no headaches, or eye strain.