iPad 2 30-pin dock connector pin bent

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Davewithak, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Davewithak macrumors regular

Earlier today I tried plugging in my iPad 2, only to find it harder than usual to push in. I looked at it and it had various dust/debris in it, so I cleaned it out. Somehow, while cleaning it, I bent a pin on the 30-pin connector and now I can't plug in my cord at all. I looked on iFixit and the part is only $40, but it looks like a very difficult repair. Does anyone have an experience with this or know about how much it would cost for Apple to fix it? Thanks!

2. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

3. Davewithak thread starter macrumors regular

I found a few posts about people bending the pins on their iPods. One in particular talked about an iPad pin getting bent by the dock and the Apple store giving a free replacement. I know they're not obligated to do so, but I'll probably take it in sometime next week and see what they say about it.

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Same happened to my iPt 2G some 3 years ago. As it'd be impossible to get it repaired for less than $50, I've decided to try to un-bend the pin. I was lucky to get it right. After that, however, I've never removed the cable. (It was just a dev / testing machine, not a working one.)