Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcmetro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
So folks, please share your thoughts on what is the best size to buy. 32GB or 64GB. I have an 32GB iPhone 4 which is primarily going to be my music player as well. I don't iPad as my music player besides bring a good video player for videos. Then there are podcasts and movies. Also iPad does not really offer many ways to store/view many file formats anyways. Anything hat I have not thought of?
So I'm torn, what size is best suited? What did you folks buy and why?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So folks, please share your thoughts on what is the best size to buy. 32GB or 64GB. I have an 32GB iPhone 4 which is primarily going to be my music player as well. I don't iPad as my music player besides bring a good video player for videos. Then there are podcasts and movies. Also iPad does not really offer many ways to store/view many file formats anyways. Anything hat I have not thought of?
So I'm torn, what size is best suited? What did you folks buy and why?

64GB because there is no such thing as too much storage. You can get a 64GB and not use all of it. But you can't get a 32GB and put 64GB of stuff on it. Saving that $100 isn't going to help you any at that point.

Freefall25

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
This is my second iPad. I always go for the most memory I can afford. I feel it is better to have memory you don't use than to need memory you don't have. On a day to day basis I do not use 64gb. But, when I go on a trip I load up my iPad with video and definitely use the 64gb. I say, go big.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
16GB is more than enough for me

With 4.3 home sharing, I have access to all my music and video's without taking up storage space.

But then again, I never take my iPad out of the house, so theres no need to store anything for offline listening or viewing.

I'd go for more storage if I could take it to work, but I work in a high security area, so camera's are a big no no.

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
I found that having an iPhone there is no need to sync music to my iPad. Currently I sync only 1 playlist that has my most recently added songs.

So that leaves me with movies, apps and pictures. In which case 32GB seems like the sweet spot.

Last year I had purchased the 64gb (Selling on ebay NOW) and I always had 40gb free. So it was a total waste of money. It was also a 3G version that I maybe took out of my house 4 times also a waste. I thought I would need to 64GB of storage to use with the camera kit and upload my photos from my DSLR but I never did.

This time I went for a 32GB WIFI only and I cant be any happier. If I ever needed internet on the go I can always tether with my iPhone.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
I have the ipad1 with 16 GB and it's more than enough.
But as said if you want to watch movies while traveling and you have plenty of apps then the 32GB is good. I can't imagine that there's ever going to be the need for 64GB.

epi117

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2010
This is my second iPad. I always go for the most memory I can afford. I feel it is better to have memory you don't use than to need memory you don't have. On a day to day basis I do not use 64gb. But, when I go on a trip I load up my iPad with video and definitely use the 64gb. I say, go big.

Agree, i would go for max

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
32GB used to be the sweet spot last year, but with new games and some apps reaching over 1/2 gig in size each, and that's just a start with the new hardware, combined with movies at over a gig each and music, you'd be crazy not to get a 64GB.

Unless of course all you do is surf the net daily, or don't mind swapping out programs on a regular basis, you could get the smaller size.

Mshilling

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
whichever size you think you will make use of. these threads crack me up. everyone uses it differently and only you can decide how much or how little space you need.

Marshal82

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Go big or regret it later!

64gb is the sweet spot! The extra cash is worth it if these reasons apply to you.

Four Reasons...

1.) Free Wifi: It's everywhere, so unless you need to be online while on the bus or in a taxi, you can probably wait until you get to work/hotel/coffeeshop. Besides, if you really NEED to check your mail or browse the web for something asap, use your Phone.

2.) Apps: Believe it or not, the biggest space hog on MY iPad's 64 GB hard drive is apps. For example, my favorite app, "The Periodic table of elements" is 2GBs alone. And my trusty "American Heritage Dictonary" is 508 MBs. Don't even get me started on games!

3.) Photos: And not just the photos you'll be taking using the iPad camera, but every photo you've ever scanned into your computer. Imagine your wallet and how many pics you'd stuff it with if you could? Who doesn't want photos of your dog as a puppy to show every random strangers on a big 10 inch screen?

4.) Video: And I don't mean purchased TV and movies. I'm talking about how the iPad 2 (and iPhone) work surprisingly well as video cameras. And the last thing you want is to run out of space in the middle of your kid's b-day party.

Of course you can (and should) sync and transfer all this stuff onto your computer as often as possible. But trust me - you'll always have a few favorite apps, pictures, and video that you'll never want to NOT have with you. And that number will only grow over time.

Many more opinions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746UJBS

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
it all depends if you watch video podcasts. since i watch CNBC Fast Money and Cramer's show, i needed the 64GB model since each show is ~400MB. do the math, then throw in 7GB of apps and other movies and i was constantly running out of storage.

when the iPad 4 came out, i decided to get the 64GB model. now i don't have to worry about space at all

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
it all depends if you watch video podcasts. since i watch CNBC Fast Money and Cramer's show, i needed the 64GB model since each show is ~400MB. do the math, then throw in 7GB of apps and other movies and i was constantly running out of storage.

when the iPad 4 came out, i decided to get the 64GB model. now i don't have to worry about space at all

Why the hell are you keeping so many episodes of Fast Money on your ipad? That's pretty funny.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Why the hell are you keeping so many episodes of Fast Money on your ipad? That's pretty funny.

5 episodes of Fast Money a week, one a day.
5 episodes of Cramer a week, one a day.

i don't always get around to watching them during the week

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
32 is perfect for me. I used to load up my iPad with loads of games but I realize I wasn't playing half of them or some, never even played even once.

I sometimes download an app or game on sale and delete it for future installation when I'm bored or done with some other apps/games

32 is great for me. 64 is better for those who store tons of movies, music and want libraries of apps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.