iPad 2 - 32GB or 64GB (memory usage compared to iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kaibex, May 21, 2011.

?

How much memory are you using compared to iPhone/Smartphone?

1. The same amount

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Less, as don't need all music, apps etc

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. more as there are more apps to take up memory

20 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I am going to get an iPad 2 but just wanted to see the opinions of current users. I had a 32GB iPhone and often wished that it was 64GB as I regularly chopped and changed what files I kept on the device.

Have any iPad user found that they use more, less or the same compared to their iPhone in terms of storage. Music was the main thing for me as I had around 19GB on my iPhone, I know I won't need it all on iPad, as I won't be walking around with my iPad in my pocket listening to music :D so am swaying towards 32GB as it will be £100 cheaper.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I use my iPhone and iPad for two different purposes, so I keep all my music on my iPhone, but movies on my iPad since I generally always carry both devices with me.

I have a 16Gb iPhone with 3 gigs free and a 32GB iPad with about 6 gigs free and this combo works for me.

3. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

I am picking up my iPad tomorrow, any more views on recommended memory considering I was using 32GB on iPhone. I know it will come down to what I store on the phone but has anyone found 32GB to be not enough or 64GB too much?

4. foiden macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm a big app devourer. I have a good number of Apps, and iPad generally uses more memory for Apps than the iPhone does. (except for certain large universal apps) It seems for me, that I can fit quite a bit on a 16GB iphone 4, but less amount of stuff on a 16GB iPad. Getting the 32GB iPad pretty much allowed me to match the iPhone count and a bit more.

So in your case, probably nothing less than 32GB, but a lot of folks can get away with not going the full 64GB. You have full blown micro-laptops with 64GB using full-blown Operating Systems and bigger apps. (eg. 11" MBA) Though to be fair, laptops have USB connections for extra space. People can always use more space, but it boils down to how much do you really plan to carry with you at once. Do you plan to go App crazy in your travels?

5. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Generally I think I could deal with 32GB as not such a big deal to sync every few days or so and that will be fine for my hour daily commute, the main thing I am thinking of is when I am away with work for a few days at a time but if I hold back on syncing all my spice girl albums it should be ok :D and worth the £100 saving.

I am thinking of using some of the newspaper apps and not sure how much space each edition will take up, but I suppose its just a case of having to much choice, a few years ago who would have thought someone would question wether 32GB on a mobile device would be sufficient.

6. Kupp macrumors regular

I have a 16 GB iPhone 4 which usually has around 8 or 9 gigs free. I used to use up more space but I offloaded most of the video to my iPad.

My iPad 2 is a 32 GB wifi model and I currently have 16.4 GB free.

I dont keep music on my iPad, I only keep a few movies on my iPhone, and I am making extensive use of iTunes network sharing and air video.

I convert files to either share over iTunes from my computer or load and play in iTunes on my iPad. Unconverted files I play using cinexplayer or vlc.

Oh half a gig on both devices is just pictures and I don't have a heck of a lot in the way of games yet, sodoku, free cell, angry birds, that kind of stuff.

I am actually planning to build a new tower to better serve as a media server for my devices, currently using a 6 year old Dell laptop with a FireWire external HD.

Some low end quad core with a TB or two of space, may spring for a small solid state boot drive but not sure it actually warrants that extravagance.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I said the same amount. I got a 16gb iPad and kinda wish I'd gone for the 32.

I keep much more music on my phone but I like to keep more movies/TV on my iPad. App space is about the same, maybe a bit more on the iPad since that's where I tend to play large, graphically-intensive games.

8. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Got my 32GB today and after my first sync I have 0.01GB remaining :D, and that occurred by pure luck. I will remove a few video's so I can keep at least 1GB or 2GB free for any on the go downloads. Quite pleased I didn't go all out for 64GB now as hopefully this will be fine. Thanks for all the advice.

9. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

i had a 32GB iPad 1 and was constantly running out of space so I got 64 this time around. Between movies, apps, all of my photos, and the music I want to play from my iPad, 64 was the way to go, not to mention needing enough space to download new things while traveling or dumping all of my photos on the iPad. BTW-My iPhone is 16GB and I never run out of space on it