iPad 2 32GB WiFi or 32GB 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mnsportsgeek, Mar 6, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

Up until last week I had always been under the impression that having having an iPad wasn't practical. Well, to make a long story short, I'm sold on an iPad 2 now, and will be making my purchase in late april. I have my eyes set on a 32gb iPad because I have about 17 gigs of music and I like having it all with me at all times.

I own an iPhone 4 and will, most likely, be using that until the iPhone 6 comes out in 2012 (unless the iPhone 5 just wows us all). My iPhone 4 currently has unlimited data, so I'm wondering if you guys think it will be overkill to have a 3G iPad as well as a 3G iPhone 4. My gut tells me it will be.

I have been reading and hear that jailbreaking 4.3 (Not currently jailbroken) when it comes out would be a good option and using tetherme to get internet access on my iPad whenever I want. Obviously my phone is with me at all times so it would just be a matter of pressing a button on the iphone 4 and burning through a little battery on the iphone 4...but I have chargers everywhere I go pretty much.

Is having a 3G iPad just that more convenient? Just looking for some insight.

Thanks in advance!

2. No1up macrumors regular

The iPhone 5 will wow us... 100% sure of this..

if you have an iphone, jailbreak it, pay te $20 and get MyWi, it works GREAT!! I love it, its worth it and works great..

3. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

This.

All I have to do is put my iPhone in my pocket and whenever I turn on my iPad, it automatically connects and shares my iPhones connection.

The best part is, when I lock my iPad again, the connection is automatically closed, so my iPhone doesnt drain battery.

Its absolutely brilliant.

4. No1up macrumors regular

You got the $5.00 BT upgrade? So it does work well? I was afraid it wouldnt..

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

ok now let me pose this question to you. Let's say I decide not to jailbreak, and still just go with the wifi iPad. Will I be happy with a wifi iPad and and 3G on the iPhone for when I'm on the go?

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Just remember that the iPhone's battery won't last more than five hours when used as a WiFi hotspot. If you don't mind that and don't care about GPS, then go for the WiFi model. That is what I am going to do.

7. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

WiFi Triangulation works perfectly well IMO if you aren't needing precision. If you are just looking for nearby restaurants on google places. You don't need GPS. My iPhone will be doing all the precision work such as turn by turn navigation.

I'm thinking I'll go with WiFi... There's no need to have two devices with 3G, especially when the iPhone can do nearly everything that the iPad can do on a smaller screen. I will be fine with the WiFi iPad.... and if I find I would like 3G, I can do that on the next go around.