All iPads iPad 2 $399!!!! After 2 and a half years after release and

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DBZmusicboy01, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

How on earth
    Will apple do that? iPad 2 to iPad 5 is a $100 difference and not only that the ipad mini retina is the same price as the almost 3 year old ipad 2
    Apple is greedy
    They name ipad air to trick the lesser known people into thinking the ipad 2 was from last year and ipad air is just a thinner version of the ipad 2
    It just makes me so mad
    It's like keeping the iPhone 4 priced at $199 in the year 2013
    That's how it is like
    Even the ipad mini 1st gen now is only $299
    And it's the same specs but higher pixel density than ipad 2
    What a rip off and a trick

2. syd430 Guest

The iPad 2 is aimed at corporate customers, not retail.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

lolwut????

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Its good.

My Ipad 2 is worth more 2nd hand than other peoples iPad3/4. :eek: :D

5. syd430, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013

syd430 Guest

What wasn't clear about my post? iPad 2's have been the realm of corporate customers for some time now. A lot of large entities snap them up in the thousands. They almost never buy more exensive iPad with retina displays because they are not needed for corporate use.

All those ipads you see in store fronts displaying food menus are also iPad 2's. And so even smaller businesses will continue to buy iPad 2's.

They are not targeted at the consumer market.

Is that clearer now for you?

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think its aimed at cheapskates.

No way a company is going to go for the $100 savings instead of getting the new/better hardware which will improve productivity and upgradability (in terms of future software and app support).

The price of $399 for iPad 2 is ridiculous, they could have at least upgraded the $399 to be the iPad 3 or just removed that option completely letting people get the smaller device if they want a cheap price.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Actually, education is where the iPad 2 has the most customers. Schools appreciate the lower cost and it's still a damned fine unit. Mine is still going strong.

But, $399 is iffy, I must admit.

8. syd430 Guest

Both education and corporate are not retail/consumer which was my point. That is, that the iPad 2 is not aimed at the retail/consumer market. No need to get technical.

9. gentleman00 macrumors 6502

Yes, that's true.

10. MLAM macrumors regular

Agreed that the iPad 2 is now pretty much a educational market product.

I got what syd430 but clearly not many did, some corporate companies get them too to save cost and they don't care about Retina display.

11. steve2237 macrumors newbie

Yes way. Think about things like the Square Stand, which is POS terminal for small businesses. It's designed for the 30-pin iPad 2. https://squareup.com/stand

Even Apple themselves uses iPad 2's in store's as the informational displays next to their products. I've been in offices that mount iPad 2's to walls next to conference rooms running custom apps to show upcoming meetings and availability.

Corporate customers are going to be buying in bulk and don't care/need for bells and whistles. It's the same mentality that leads to me typing this post on some crappy Dell laptop as I'm at work.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

Yep....schools and business are the primary customers. Though I would think schools would get some sort of educational discount. $299 would see like the right price point.

I wonder if $399 is 'retail' price out there for consumers?

It seems like Apple is keeping an artificial floor on the iPad 2 to keep it from cannibalizing sales on the newer models.

While people on here get excited about Retina displays and A7 processors, there are a lot of potential customers who just want a regular iPad. The current Mini and iPad 2 are just fine today. If the iPad 2 was available for $299, it could eat into 'Air' sales for users who just want an iPad. It's basically the same as the Mini...which until today was probably the most popular iPad out there.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The 4 IPAD, version one in my family still does a great job. Great for many applications.

Meanwhile, folks like me want the Ipad Air. Different markets for different folks. Face it, I really do not NEED or REQUIRE all the cool stuff in the Ipad Air, but I damn well am gonna get it.

Marketing folks. Marketing. Supply and Demand. etc etc etc

14. CairnsRock, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

CairnsRock macrumors member

CairnsRock

If iPad 2 is $399, then my iPad 4 must be worth $349. One would think. Gazelle offer $245 for them.

The iPad 4 is looking like a great deal right now if you can find one cheap before they disappear. Get a refurbed iPad 4 for $379.

The only thing I like about the iPad Air is the lighter weight. The other stuff...meh.