iPad 2 + 3DS Combo

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlackMamba14, Apr 15, 2011.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who has both these devices? Is it worth having both or is their another combo people travel with?

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Probably one of the stupidest combos I have seen suggested on this forum. The best combo is an iPhone 4 with MyWi and an iPad 2 wifi only.

3. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Alot of people carry another gaming devices for trips like a PSP. iPad and iPhone games are great but some people want deeper games. And apple wireless keyboard is a must. Great for getting work done

4. fsshariq macrumors member

There is no benefit in ridiculing the OP and thank you for telling us about your self-proclaimed "best" combo.

A 3DS may be better for gaming for someone like the OP since its a dedicated gaming devices (not that the iPad doesn't have some excellent games) and will have great titles like Zelda that are not available on iOS devices. Also, the gaming experience itself is mostly different on each device. The iPad on the other hand, when bundled with the 3DS, may primarily serve as a device for web browsing and consuming media. Therefore, there is noting stupid about the iPad and 3DS combo and it may be worth having.

I personally think my Android phone with hotspot capability, which I do not pay extra for on T-Mobile, bundled with the iPad is a nice combo. I am not a big portable gamer nor do I have much time for gaming on the go so it's not that big of a deal to me. The only other thing I cannot do without are my IEM because I listen to tons of music. I guess you can call that a combo since my Head-Direct RE0s are always with my iPad.

5. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

I have both. As cool as many games are on iPad, it's still not quite the same as having a dedicated console. For instance, Ridge Racer iPhone is a pretty cool game since the controls were tightened, but the 3DS iteration is in an entirely different league.

6. Sulwyn macrumors member

I have both. (Or will have both soon. My iPad is on it's way.) I don't know why it'd be a bad combo. They both fulfill different purposes. I won't be reading books on my 3DS just as I won't be playing Ocarina of Time on my iPad. If you like 3DS games and want the capabilities that an iPad provides then go for it. the 3DS will ALWAYS be a better gaming device than the iPad because as another poster stated, it's a dedicated gaming device. (I personally don't even consider iPads/ iPhones/ Touches as real gaming devices. They're good for casual games but I'll never be able to/ would want to play an RPG for hours on anyone of them.)

To decide on what combo you want, you really need to look at what gaming titles you like/ what things you like to do on a trip. As a frequent traveller, I know that I liked reading books/ playing ds games (no 3DS yet on my last trip :p) on long flights, therefore getting the iPad 2 + 3DS combo was good for me. I enjoy Nintendo games more than PSP games, therefore, it makes sense for me to go with this combo. However, I know my brothers like games from both Sony and Nintendo therefore they have iPads + PSPs + 3DS-es.

In short, this is something that you have to decide on your own and not something we can answer for you here on the forums. Each device fulfills a different purpose so therefore you need to decide if they suit your needs and interests by yourself.

7. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

You sounded believable until the bolded word.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Since I got my ipad I really haven't used my PSP.
    So far I believe PSP games are better than most iPad games currently available.
    Having a real control to play with really makes a huge difference, but it's not hard to get used to a virtual control on the iPad.

Having both is great, so you could play a game while doing something else on the iPad, plus listening to music, of doing FaceTime, or keeping an eye on a remote process for work, etc.

I also saw the new Nintendo 3DS and I really liked it, that is as a portable gaming device. The price of the games is what really kills you. You can but a ton of games at the App Store for less that a single 3DS game.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would definitely reccomend trying out a 3DS in person before paying for one. How well the effect works can vary a lot person to person and it seemed very awkward to me. Holding it in the right position gave a decent 3D effect, but it wasn't enough to convince me to spend money on it.

10. fsshariq macrumors member

What's wrong with Android? I am only describing what devices I use with my iPad. One of them happens to be my phone, much like you said in your case, only I used an Android phone. I clearly stated that I think it is a nice combo without bashing anyone or trying to explicitly label it as the "best combo" out there.

11. zap2, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have both, they have almost no overlap in my mind. Yes,the iPad can game. Yes, the 3DS can go online, but each one does certain things better then the other.

Its totally worth having both in my mind...I love gaming, and while the iPad is fun for a quick game here or there, its not a dedicated gaming machine like the 3DS. And while I could surf the web if I had too on the 3DS, I'm much prefer the iPhone or iPad.

To the person who said this was a stupid combo, you are clearly not a gamer, thats fine, but no need to bash someone who is.

As for iPhone with a tethering app plus iPad with Wi-Fi, thats a good solution for many people, but for other they might not need that. Take me for explain, I had Wi-Fi pretty much all over my campus, which is where I go to class and my job is. That gets rid of my need to tether, plus saves me the trouble of jailbreaking. Also you suggestion does nothing to help the gamer the OP seems to have inside him or her.

Long story short, there is no one single combo that work for everyone, and there is no need to suggest one combo is terrible without first knowing that a user wants and what their situation is.

12. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would have both if I had more time for games.

13. WyldRyce macrumors member

I have both an iPad 2 along with a 3DS and I would say just grab both. You'll get a different experience from them obviously. One is a tablet while the other is a dedicated gaming handheld. However, I would just wait to pick up a 3DS until you have a title that you would actually want considering the line up for it right now is pretty weak.

On another note, I too wifi tether from my Android phone wherever I don't have access to a wifi spot. More convenient than paying an additional $130+data for a 3G iPad 2.

14. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

As the 3DS is currently massively overpriced, the game lineup is very weak and mostly filled with badly used 3D, i wouldn't recommend that combo right now.

Essentially, it's not even about a "combo". If you like the DS / 3DS game lineup, get the device, regardless of whatever other gadgets you sport.

Still... 250 dollars for a device that has about 3 hours of battery life and games that are mostly 'proof of concept', seems a bit too much for me

15. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I agree. I sold my 3ds simply because the games were not deep enough to justify the $250 for the device. I have to admit that the 3d effect was cool but the battery life was not. I would suggest a iPad and a psp. I'm just gonna wait until next year when nintendo comes out with a 3ds xl before I think about getting another one.

16. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Even better wait for the PSP 2 (NGP).

17. fsshariq macrumors member

I would do the same. Nintendo always revises their handhelds multiple times and the current 3DS is a bit bulky and doesn't have great battery life. If one doesn't eagerly want the 3DS now, it's best to wait and get the next revision Nintendo puts out.