ipad 2 3g... data/phone hacks...

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by whyrichard, Aug 2, 2011.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

Am excited to be getting and ipad 2 with 3g data...

A few questions for those in the know...

-What is the word regarding data/phone hacks? bypassing the att data charge and/or getting the ipad to work as a phone?

-how do the voip apps work on the data plan? currently i find them to be cumbersome, laggy, and inconsistent using my iphone 3gs on an unlimited data plan in long island ny.

-how well do the data/phone hacks (using my iphone sim in the ipad for example) work compared to just using the miwi app on my iphone? perhaps the question here is, how much is battery life affected on the iphone by using it primarily to tether to the ipad?

thanks for your great veteran advice!

from an excited ipad newb...

r.

2. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I don't think there's such a hack to bypass the 3G data. If that's the case, why not get a WiFi only iPad?

As far as getting it to work as a phone, the only thing I could think of is Skype.

Not too familiar with the rest of your questions.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

bypassing the data charge - you don't have to subscribe to a data plan every month. You can use it only as needed, i.e. for one month.

iphone SIM in iPad - AT&T will turn off your data, don't bother with it.

ipad as phone - you can try this: http://www.ijunkey.com/2011/06/13/phoneitipad-converts-ipad-to-phone-cydia-tweak/

Native 3G data on the ipad is faster than MyWi tethered over bluetooth. However if you use a 4G LTE MyFi that will be faster.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

You really just have to see what the load on the tower is. I have a GSM iPad 2 but for the time being I am using mywi to tether it and it runs great. There are times when the connection will slow down but this is normal.