Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
That's what I thought. To be honest, I use less than 1GB of data per month, so I don't really need the unlimited plan. But I hate the thought of giving it up, just in case!

Then again, I'm not too crazy about the thought of jailbreaking my phone and keeping up with potential updates... so the tethering/hotspot option might be best for me. Who knows?

So, it's either $30/month to keep the unlimited plan and jailbreak the phone...
Or $45/month to use the tethering/hotspot option with 4GB data max.
OR, get the 3G iPad and only buy the data plan when I need it, by the month.
Jailbreaking really is the way to go. You really don't wanna lose that grandfathered unlimited plan unless you know for a fact you'll never go over 2gb of data. It's really not a difficult thing to do. As mentioned above, check out iClarified.com or a handful or other sites to properly set the expectation and just be smart about reading up on it. It doesn't seem like you're the type of person to rush so I'd say you'll be fine. Just always back up...

You can start here:
http://iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=2

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Don't understand why you would have to give up the unlimited data, especially if your willing to pay the 45 dollars a month for tethering/mobile hotspot.

Simple -- it's AT&T's way to get you to move from the grandfathered unlimited "Data Plan for iPhone" plan to one of the new limited data plans like "DataPro 4GB for iPhone Tethering"

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Jailbreaking really is the way to go. You really don't wanna lose that grandfathered unlimited plan unless you know for a fact you'll never go over 2gb of data. It's really not a difficult thing to do. As mentioned above, check out iClarified.com or a handful or other sites to properly set the expectation and just be smart about reading up on it. It doesn't seem like you're the type of person to rush so I'd say you'll be fine. Just always back up...

You can start here:
http://iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=2
Thanks, Kadin. I'll do some reading once I'm back on the computer, I'm on the iPhone right now.

Just a couple of questions about JBing:

1. Is it a set it up once and forget it type of thing? Or do we need to JB every x amount of time, or every new update or ???

2. Is there ever a need to UNjailbreak the iPhone? If so, how do-able is that?

3. Lastly, does the iPad also need to be JB, or just the iPhone?

Thanks again...

delacruzjeff

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I am also deciding whether to get the WIFI or WIFI/3G. I have a 6GB data plan with Rogers. Right now tethering is free from Rogers if you have a data plan 1GB and up. I'm not sure if this policy will change once the iOS4.3 comes out which allows iPhone4 to act as hotspot. If tethering will continue to be free with Rogers then I will just get the WIFI version.

But my other question is, what is the assisted GPS feature on the WIFI/3G version iPad2?

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Simple -- it's AT&T's way to get you to move from the grandfathered unlimited "Data Plan for iPhone" plan to one of the new limited data plans like "DataPro 4GB for iPhone Tethering"

I'm better off jailbreaking my iphone and buying the mywi app if that's what I would have to do to get the mobile hotspot.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Honestly, I've been using the MyWi feature for my iPad 1 WiFi.

But, I think I'm going to go 3G this time. It doesn't wear the battery badly, but it does wear the phone battery down more than normal. I only really feel comfortable having it on when I'm either by a plug, plugged in, or going to get plugged in soon.

Also, when I'm going threw grand central home, my cell service cuts out, then I gotta take out my phone, turn off 3G, and back on, then it starts working. Sometimes I just use my iPhone. I'd rather have the 3G available, then to be cursing out my iPhone all the time. :)

I did buy the 64GB though and I have a ton of content on here that I never watch. So I'm going to go with the 32GB 3G :).

Now, the real question is how much will the Verizon iPad plan prices be? But I still think I'm going with AT&T

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

if the non 3g had gps I would buy it but it doesn't so I will buy the 3g just for turn by turn nav on the big screen

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
Thanks, Kadin. I'll do some reading once I'm back on the computer, I'm on the iPhone right now.

1. Is it a set it up once and forget it type of thing? Or do we need to JB every x amount of time, or every new update or ???
You JB whenever a new OS comes out, if you want.

Restore in itunes

I JB my ipad and iphone each time. Just as easy to do both.
Thanks again...

Very easy to do!

Go to iclairified.com or modmyi.com

adam8797

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Well, my iPhone has never been jailbroken.

Is there an "Idiot Guide" ;) that shows EXACTLY how to do a JB, step by step? -- and then exactly how to add MiWi?

Thanks again...

my favorite place is besttechinfo.com and use the jailbreak instructor

Never installed MiWi but it is probably VERY easy. :D

-adam8797

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009

Thanks again...

Once you Jailbreak, you are good to go. You will use the Cydia app to install Jailbroken apps. Your Jailbreak will remain for as long as you want, as long as you don't upgrade your firmware. Once a new version of iOS comes out, you will lose your Jailbreak if you upgrade. So you don't want to upgrade until a Jailbreak is available for the new version. At that time, you back up all of your Jailbroken apps/settings, upgrade to the new firmware (which wipes your Jailbreak), then re-Jailbreak with the new version, then restore all of your Cydia apps/settings. So yes, you have to do this each time you upgrade firmware, but no other maintence is required in-between iOS versions. You can still sync to iTunes and all of the normal stuff you were used to doing before Jailbreaking.

You do not need to Jailbreak the iPad in order to use the iPhone as a hotspot. Once you Jailbreak your iPhone, you install MyWi from Cydia and you are good to go! From MyWi, you will start the WIFI connection and then it will show up as a connectable hotspot on your iPad. Once they are connected, you can use your iPad or iPhone as much as you want. Once you turn your iPad off or when it goes to sleep, the MyWi connection will automatically shut off after 10 minutes (I believe). There is a feature called "On Demand" that you can install that will automatically start and stop the MyWi connection but this also requires a Jailbreak on your iPad and it ties up your Bluetooth connection.

Hope that helps!

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Well said!

Once you Jailbreak, you are good to go. You will use the Cydia app to install Jailbroken apps. Your Jailbreak will remain for as long as you want, as long as you don't upgrade your firmware. Once a new version of iOS comes out, you will lose your Jailbreak if you upgrade. So you don't want to upgrade until a Jailbreak is available for the new version. At that time, you back up all of your Jailbroken apps/settings, upgrade to the new firmware (which wipes your Jailbreak), then re-Jailbreak with the new version, then restore all of your Cydia apps/settings. So yes, you have to do this each time you upgrade firmware, but no other maintence is required in-between iOS versions. You can still sync to iTunes and all of the normal stuff you were used to doing before Jailbreaking.

You do not need to Jailbreak the iPad in order to use the iPhone as a hotspot. Once you Jailbreak your iPhone, you install MyWi from Cydia and you are good to go! From MyWi, you will start the WIFI connection and then it will show up as a connectable hotspot on your iPad. Once they are connected, you can use your iPad or iPhone as much as you want. Once you turn your iPad off or when it goes to sleep, the MyWi connection will automatically shut off after 10 minutes (I believe). There is a feature called "On Demand" that you can install that will automatically start and stop the MyWi connection but this also requires a Jailbreak on your iPad and it ties up your Bluetooth connection.

Hope that helps!
Great explanation of it all...

Aussieiphone

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
As long as you're jailbraking

you might as well install BTstack ($5) that allows connection of a GPS external device via bluetooth... - getting the wifi could be the wiser cost-saving choice (would be nice to have the GPS built-in, but not that good apparently, at least not $130+ extra tax good anyways)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.