iPad 2 5.1.1 Wifi Issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RWil85, Jul 10, 2012.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Purchased my dad an iPad 2 a while back.

Everything was all good - until he upgraded to iOS 5.1.1.

Since then he has had serious wifi problems - his iPad 2 will not connect to his router; whereas,it was before. I believe he's using WPA2 on it and ALL other devices (Touchpads,iPhones, iPod touch, MacBook pros, etc) are able to connect all throughout the house.

I've read around online and there are several different solutions (reset network settings, reconfigure wifi connections, etc) that haven't worked.

I figured someone in this forum might have the best explanation as to what's going on and possibly a remedy for it.

Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Che Castro, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

Che Castro macrumors 603

Unplug your router,restart your router

At first when i restore my iphone or ipad i would connect to wifi but after putting the phono or ipad to sleep it would disconnect , this went on for like an hour now it stays connected 24/7

3. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, will try..

I was unaware as to whether or not it is some setting that needs tweaking or perhaps a widespread 5.1.1 issue.

4. RedCroissant Suspended

What kind of router does he have and how many devices on average are connected to it?

5. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe it is a Netgear WNR 1000 and for the most part, it's usually just his iPad 2 connected over wifi as his desktop is wired. I've seen his iPad 2 work in the past with a few other devices connected at the same time (phones, tablets and laptops) if that means anything.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

What I would do is actually reset the router and then set it up again with a MAC address filter. This way, a reset might force it to update firmware or anything and might solve the problem.

7. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and, after the initial setup, have never had to touch it again..

Something like resetting the router is something I could look up in the manual, no?

And when you say, "set up a MAC address filter", you mean to use the associated software on his PC, correct?

8. RedCroissant Suspended

I have an extreme as well. A reset should be as easy as pressing a button located somewhere on the router and then allowing the network to restore itself. He should be able to set it up using a browser and the default web address for netgear or really any router(I believe) is http://192.168.1.1/

Try that for the set up and there should be a section for security or wireless access that should give you the option to set up a MAC filter to limit access to only a few devices.