iPad 2 64GB WiFi + 3G GPS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by imac9556, Mar 7, 2011.

1. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,
    I am torn between the iPad 2 64GB 3G and the iPad 2 64GB Wifi models. Yes, there is a $130 difference.
    For those with the iPad 3G model, I understand it has a GPS chip in it too. Is there any apps that is worth it alone for the GPS chip? (I know navigon supports the iPad)

Also, I have an iPhone 4 with unlimited data. Could I use the SIM card in the iPad 2 if I just wanted to use it for the unlimited data?

For the people who bought the iPad 3G and also have an iPhone, what was your justification on spending the $130 extra for the 3G version besides the GPS?

Thanks!! :apple:

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Here's my reply to another thread on the benefits of GPS:

"We've used it abroad in Europe while wandering through unfamiliar cities. Nice to siit in a cafe and be able to plan out your next moves. I also downloaded the Lonely Planet city guides when they were giving them away free during the Iceland volcano eruption. Their maps are GPS-aware, so if you turn to the map pages they show your current location relative to all the points of interest entioned in the guide. If you start thinking of GPS as something other than "turn right at the next intersection" there are endless other options for its use."

If you plan on traveling then the combination for 3G and GPS is very handy (especially if you plan on traveling outside the US, where a locked iPhone is of little use).

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Last year I was at the Apple store on April 3rd, Launch Day for the iPad (WiFi). Bought one and was tickled with it -- until I was somewhere that I needed to access the internet and couldn't. On April 30, Launch Day for the iPad (3G) I was again at the Apple store.....

Although I also have the iPhone with unlimited service, there are many times I prefer to be able to use the larger screen of the iPad when online, and I am happy knowing that at any time my 3G iPad will get me online regardless of where I am. Actually, this morning at home we had a brief power outage and I happened to be online at the time. Oops -- there went the computer! I picked up the iPad and got online with 3G and continued with what I had been doing....

I will be buying the iPad2 3G for these reasons. I really can't answer as far as the value of the GPS, etc., as I haven't used it for that purpose but for me having that 3G internet access at all times so that if I'm not in a wireless hotspot environment I can still get online is well worth it to me.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Supposedly (this has not been fully confirmed), the iPad will be able to tether seamlessly through the iPhone 4 using Bluetooth when 4.3 comes out. So those of you with iPhones may consider paying just $20 a month more for a tethering plan and get the Wifi iPad.

Not only does it cost less, but you get a 4GB pot to use, rather than 2GB.

You lose GPS, but you have that on the phone; why bother with it on both devices?

5. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Lose Unlimited Data Plan

Beware though, unless you work something out with AT&T customer service, you will lose your iPhone 4 unlimited data plan going the tethering route. Tethering requires the new iPhone data plans and the grandfathered plans must be changed to them.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Having 3g is awesome, even with the tethering option. When I used to use MyWi my iphone used to get real hot and suck up battery very quickly when I tethered something to it, as opposed to having a 3g ipad which didnt suck up battery too bad and didn't get hot or rely on my using up my iphone, which might have been needed for an emergency call or whatever.

But you are asking specifically about GPS. GPS is pretty awesome to have as well, the only thing you are going to have to wrestle with is there are no good GPS programs out there yet. Copilot is ok and made for the ipad, but nothing great. Tom tom isnt made for the ipad yet and I don't think there are any plans announced. Navigon is your best bet, but even though there is an ipad version it's still low res so you can't really see street names and stuff like that. I've tried them all on the ipad and they do get the job done, but they are far from optimal compared to a stand alone gps unit. So I suppose it depends, if a very good navi program comes out I'd say the advantage of the 3g is WELL worth the $130.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

BTW you can use your iphone4 sim card in the ipad and it works, I've used it just to experiment.

8. wratran macrumors regular

settings

What kind of settings do you put into the ipad?
    Or does it recognize it automatically.?

I am planning to use my iphone sim (unlinited data) in the new ipad.

9. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

I have the 3G ipad and am buying just the wi-fi version iPad 2. I had unlimited data on my iphone too, but then would turn around and spend $15 for 250 mb of data on the iPad. I decided to add tethering to my iPhone 4 (4.3 - I am a developer) and am now able to use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot with 4GB of data available.

In addition, I was concerned about coming off of the unlimited data until I looked at my past data usage on the AT&T website and realized that since 2009 I have not used anywhere near 2 GB of data.

Anyway, I am really happy with this solution and look forward to always having wireless internet through my iPhone 4.

10. ozred macrumors 6502

There's no way I would ever buy a loaded configuration like that. As fast as the development of tablets is going the thing is going to be obsolete in less than a year.

Apple will make it so. It's what they do. They program everyone to buy new each and every year.

Remember Apple wants to watch yours hit the land fill, or at least be resold, so they can grab more of your money.

Stevie likes it that way :) He expects it of you.

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

There was one setting you had to change I think in data settings, but it's been a while so I forget. I'm sure someone will chime in, I found it on google back when I did it.

12. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I have not heard of anyone getting AT&T to let them keep the unlimited data and get tethering... Have I missed something? :confused:

This would be huge for me. I do not currently use even close to 2g per month, but I'm afraid that with tethering my iPad and the normal iPhone data use I could exceed 4g on the months that I travel a lot. (Netflix is great while waiting in airports etc.)

13. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Change the APN in settings to "Phone". Of course, turn on cellular data as well and it's all good to go.

14. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Just FYI for those who care about this....

I don't know if it is an iOS 4.3 change or an iPad 2 change, but I don't see a way to change APN settings under "Settings | Cellular Data" anymore.

I wonder if AT&T/Apple got wise about possibly switching SIM cards. Unless the APN settings option got moved somewhere else I cannot see it.

15. imac9556 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aw!! Dang...! Thanks man for the update. I am glad I waited because I ended up getting a 64GB iPad Wifi earlier this week for $340! I guess I will survive without the GPS and tether with my iPhone 4 with MyWi. :)

16. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Sure thing. But I would like someone else to verify what I think I am seeing re: lack of changing APN settings before saying that the whole swap sim card thing is now impossible. I could just be missing something simple :)

17. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

To a degree this wil work. However, AT&T can detect the IMEI with your data transmissions and put a block on your data. There have been several reports of this happening, but from what I understand, it does not happen with short term use.

If you want to use it once in a while, you will in all likelihood, be able to do so without ATT doing anything. However keeping the SIM in there long term MAY (not will) result in action from AT&T.

18. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

The change came with iOS 4. There is website that can do it for you, just google APN + iPad + AT&T.

Here is the website you need.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/

19. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Oh. Interesting. Didn't realize that. I could have sworn I saw the APN Settings under Cellular Data in iOS 4.2.1; maybe I was mistaken.

See OP, this is why I like to verify my assumptions :D You may be able to do what you want after all.

20. bogrumpus, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

bogrumpus macrumors newbie

64 CDMA with AT&T iPhone 4 with tethered plan.

Oops

21. bogrumpus macrumors newbie

64 CDMA with AT&T iPhone 4 with tethered plan.

After much thought, this is what we did and I'm stoked on it.
    64gb because I've never regretted having extra memory.
    CDMA because I already have a iPhone 4 with AT&T and just signed up for the tethered package which is working out great. Use wifi whenever I can, AT&T tethered when there's no wifi and Verizon when I'm in the several places I frequent with no AT&T reception and no wifi. I always like having gps and while the phone has it too, it's cool on the bigger screen.

A little extra spending and the biggest critique is that it will soon be obsolete, but for now, it covers all bases perfectly.

Plus, can FaceTime on tethered wifi anywhere with AT&T 3G.

White too, for the record.