iPad 2 - ad hoc windows 7

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macb44, Feb 15, 2012.

1. macb44 macrumors newbie

I am trying to get internet connection on my iPad 2 by connecting wirelessly to an ad hoc network created on my laptop using windows 7.

I have heard a rumor that it is possible to do this through changing the Windows firewall settings.

I do not want to use Connectify.

I really can't believe that Apple made it this difficult to connect to an ad-hoc network on windows. What a joke. :p Can someone please help?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Surely it's not Apple's fault if it's difficult to create Ad-Hoc networks on Windows, but Microsoft's?

Anyway, if you have a Windows version other than Home Starter Edition, you set up an ad-hoc network by going to Network and Sharing Center, then click "Setup a connection or network," then click "Setup adhoc network" and follow the wizard.

If you have the Starter edition, read this:
    http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/12/02/windows-7-starter-hides-but-allows-ad-hoc-networking/

I don't have a Starter edition to test the above, so I can't guarantee it will work, but give it a go. Good luck.

3. normanbates macrumors regular

I think you're misunderstanding what the OP is asking. He's created his network but wants to connect his iPad to it.

OP - I'm at a loss as what you are trying to do here. If you have a router then your iPad will connect to it as long as you put the correct pass key into the wifi setting on the iPad. iTunes allows you to sync wirelessly anyway. Other than connecting to iTunes there's not a lot else you can do through your pc unless thenipad is jailbroken that is.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

5. macb44 thread starter macrumors newbie

@NormanBates

An Ad Hoc network is created as an alternative to using a wireless router.

My laptop is hardwired into my modem, and it emits a wireless signal which other wifi devices can pick up.

Every other device on the planet except for apple's ipad (and probably other apple products) can connect to it.

How do i get it to work without Connectify?