iPad 2 ads shot last month?....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Higgs1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Saw this on 9to5mac.com and had a few thoughts I figured I'd share. Why would they be shooting iPad 2 commercials now if the launch isn't until around March/April? Is that something they would normally do? And Im curious how they exactly know these ads are even for iPad 2's and not just the regular iPad. I know they mention something about swapping iPad 1's out with 2's in post processing but I'm curious if or why they would even mention that fact to the people getting shot for the ads.

Either way I found it kind of interesting and was hoping this would help shed more light on when the iPad 2 may actually launch. I ended up returning my iPad last week at the end of my two week return period because I believe I can wait for the 2nd generation and would rather not have to go through the hassle of trying to sell the one I had bought lol.

iPad 2 ads shot by David Sims in New York last month

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Idiotic. If anything (assuming there's an iota of truth in it) then maybe they shot an iOS 4.2 iPad ad, but even that's a stretch.

3. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I don't know how much truth there is to this particular story, but shooting ads in October for use by early March isn't too much of a stretch.

4. shandyman Suspended

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

9 to 5 and MacRumors post a lot of the same articles and a lot of them are just what MacRumors uses in their title. Rumors.

6. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I doubt that they would be Post'ing a new iPad into the ad as it is disproportionally expensive to do so (source: my better half is a junior producer for a post-production company that deals mainly with advertisements). Just as an idea - a 15 second ad that needed a 3 second pack replacement (i.e. the original item was only in shot for 3 seconds) took around 2 weeks of modelling and cost over $20k (NZD), which comes to around $7k a second.

So if the iPad in the ad is moving in more than one dimension it would be an insanely long post-production process, especially being the central item in the ad. So if a pack replacement had to span 20 odd seconds of the 30 second ad, we'd be looking at $140k per ad (as each model would be ad specific). It would be easier to just re-shoot with a dummy of the new iPad and then ad software images onto the screen in post and NDA the crap out of cast and crew.

7. Amexicanidol macrumors newbie

With 47 billion in the assets I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't care about 140K ...

8. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

You don't get that kind of bank balance by throwing money around.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I can't speak as to the commercial you're talking about, but very likely, these will be very straightforward ads (using apple's previous ad history) without a lot of weird angles that some very simple editing could take care of.

If they're anything like the older MOS iPhone ads, then they don't HAVE to make the old iPad look like the new one for the entire commercial.

10. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I think the fact this 'news' leaked out is proof that Apple realises NDAs don't mean crap to a lot of people. It's almost like they learned a lesson from the iPhone 4 leak!

11. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

It's a price they pay for secrecy. I'm sure Apple has spent more than this on some other secrecy methods we don't know about (Don't ask me which, they're secret!)