iPad 2 AirPlay and apple tv

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mrjdobbs, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mrjdobbs macrumors newbie

I bought the new apple tv a couple of weeks ago and am just getting around to hooking it up. I'm trying to mirror my. Ipad 2 through the ATV. The iPad doesn't show the AirPlay icon anywhere...not in the settings bar...not in videos or iTunes or sideshows. I have rebooted the iPad several times and the apple tv and even the router. No luck.

I need to use this to teach from my iPad.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

2. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

ipad and appletv

the first thing i would do, which might seem obvious is make sure that the appletv and the iPad are on the same wireless network.

check the homesharing (though that might not have anything to do with it)

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

It's in the multitasking tray. See this article:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5209?viewlocale=en_US

Basically, double tap the home button to show the tray. Swipe from left to right. You should see the Airplay icon.

-Kevin

4. Mrjdobbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Kevin,

That's the problem...it's not there...
    They are on the same network.

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Turn off your firewall. Also make sure DMZ is enabled for passthrough. Try again after this and if it works, it means you have blocked ports.

6. Wrathwitch, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but is your OS updated to the latest and greatest? Meaning, what version of iOS did Air Play come in at?

I know it shows on my iPad 3rd gen but I had to go looking for it by double tapping the home button and swiping left til I saw the iPod mini controls and there is a small square icon with a triangle pointing up, that is the Air Play activate button.

7. Yujenisis macrumors 6502

If you have a third party router (or a heavily secured Apple router), double check you also have any Bonjour and Airplay required ports opened.

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

As long as it's iOS 4.2+, he should be fine. Mirroring is enabled via the task manager bar so it should show up there when the airplay button is pressed.

9. Mrjdobbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no luck

Ive looked at all of those things. Even checked with my tech guy to see if all the ports were open. They are...everything is up to date...still no AirPlay icon

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not mentioned above as far as I can tell but is it enabled on the AppleTV?

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Not that this has anything to do with Airplay....but did you try downloading Apple's Remote app.....and try to use it as a test to test connectivity?

That can see not only Apple TVs but also iTunes running on a Mac.

You can enable Home Sharing on all devices and see if the iPad can see either the ATV or the Mac. If it can see the Mac but not the ATV....then you know something is up on the network with the ATV. If it doesn't see anything....then it's either a network issue or an iPad issue.

Also, can the ATV see your iTunes library on the Mac?

-Kevin

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

apple tv

Are you sure airplay is turned ON on the apple tv. Not trying to be facetious here, just asking.

13. JLee361 macrumors member

+1 it's not showing up because it is not enabled on most likely the ATV., and make sure you're updated to the most recent iOS version. Mine works fine.

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

What is the software version on your iPad 2? Are you saying that you don't see the airplay button on the iPad 2? If you don't see the button on the iPad 2, you need to update. Also, are you using an ethernet connection to the Apple TV or are you using WiFi? Have you tried access iTunes from the Apple TV? Is the Apple TV getting a connection to anything? Is your iPad connected to the same network via WiFi? If it is, are you able to browse web pages? Let us know so we can help.