iPad 2 already changing the way I do things.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spiderman0616, May 2, 2011.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have had my iPad 2 for a full week now, and since most of the posts in here seem like they are complaints about the iPad (naturally, since people who are happy tend to not post), I thought I would rave about it.

I have had an iPhone 4 pretty much since launch, so I was thinking of the iPad as more of a nice thing to have rather than a necessity. I did NOT buy the iPad 1 because of the lack of cameras, so the 2 is my first iPad.

First of all, I may as well delete ebooks off of my iPhone. Not needed anymore. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my iPad as an e-reader. This was also the main reason I bought it. Bedtime stories for my kids are also a lot more fun now with the interactive books and the colorful illustrations. And my 4 year old's favorite part of the whole thing is when I let him turn the pages by swiping his finger--for some reason, that just thrills him.

Second--movies/TV. Again, iPhone no longer needed for this UNLESS I am streaming Hulu or Netflix on the train. (Still haven't decided if I want to start tethering or not.) I have found my iPad to be awesome for just laying back on the couch and watching video. We "cut the cord" a few months back, and the shows I can't get on the Roku box or on the network's website, I download these from iTunes and watch on the iPad. (Deadliest Catch being a prime example.)

Third, I'm using Facetime a LOT more. I mentioned in another post that a ton of my friends and family (a lot more than I expected and with no pushing by me whatsoever) have switched to iPhone 4--mostly Verizon people. I never loved Facetime on iPhone, but now I can talk to all those people on my iPad. It's a blast--so much more suitable on a tablet.

And finally--last night. I was reading in bed, playing some Words with Friends, catching up with my Twitter and Facebook stuff on Flipboard, and suddenly see that the president is about to make a big announcement. Immediately flip over to the CNN app and my wife and I were watching the streaming video of his announcement right from the comfort of our bed.

Could all this be done on my iPhone? Yes. Is it anywhere near as fast, convenient or fun? Not a chance. The iPad has made everything I liked doing on my iPhone 4 probably 20x more fun. I almost wish they would make one with phone functionality--I could just use it with my Bluetooth headset and ditch my phone altogether.

PS--I sold my laptop this weekend. ;)

2. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's refreshing to hear some good news. Glad you live it. I second the motion. I also love my iPad and constantly use it on the couch or in bed to do the same activities described above. Necessity? No. Enhance the way I browse content? Yes.

3. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I felt like the first few days I had it, it just wasn't sinking in that I had one yet. I would try to read books, but then I would think "Wow, I'm doing this on an iPad now." and then I would start doing other things and thinking about all the other things I wanted to do with it in the future.

But now that I had a weekend with it to just sit back and mess around, I'm just so glad I bought it. Yes, it's a big iPhone/iPod in some ways, but in many more ways, it's not. The bigger screen and general form factor lends itself to different and more creative apps, and much different uses. The fact that there are several things now that I will probably never do again on my iPhone is proof of that. In fact, my iPhone 4 feels primitive and cramped after I've been using my iPad for awhile.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't delete the ebooks from your iPhone quite yet. I felt exactly the same way you do right after I got the iPad 1 at launch last year. But then, I started running into situations where taking the iPad out of my bag was a hassle, and found myself reaching into my pocket for my iPod touch to read the next few pages of my book. And iBooks is pretty good about syncing my last read position between devices the next time I get to a wifi hot spot. I believe Kindle and other ereading apps also have similar functions. So just keep your books on the iPhone, it's not like they take up that much space, and there may be times you are glad to have them there.

5. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Actually I was slightly exaggerating on this in my joy--In fact over the weekend my son was sitting with me and decided at the spur of the moment he wanted me to read him stories--my iPad was on the other side of the house so I read to him from my iPhone.

BUT I would have much preferred my iPad. It has been a nightly part of story time ever since I got it and the kids books on iBooks are usually dirt cheap.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

My girlfriend and I both got iPad2s two week ago, she barley touches her MacBook now. I used to take out my MBAir every time I got home from work, but since having the iPad2 it stays in my bag and I just use the iPad at home.

It is nice.

7. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Still love my fatpad. I do thing some of the backlight bleeding brigade are searching for an issue, rather than seeing it. Having to get a black screen, and view at full brightness in a dark room to spot it, then taking it back is a little absurd to me. Still, never been happier with a device. My ipad, and my macbook air, both awesome devices.

8. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I checked my screen for that the second I got it, only because I had been on this forum a lot and seen the threads. When I put mine on 100% brightness in a completely black room, I can just barely see it if I sit there and look for it. In normal usage, I don't see a trace of it ever.

I refuse to get into the OCD return cycle that I got into with my iPhone 4. I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of this thing like I have been for the past week unless something happens that's an actual issue. I would have never noticed it or looked for it if I hadn't read the forums here--I put mine on auto for brightness anyway, and with that setting turned on, I can't find it even if I look for it really hard.

Non issue for me.

9. XieoBebe macrumors member

Same here. After I purchased one, I hardly touch my Sony Vaio laptop and now one of my twins has "adopted" it. Of course I still need the laptop for more serious things but that's it. I just love how I can browse, read and watch a movie comfortably, any where I want. And I don't have to squint my eyes like I used to with my iPhone. Now that I have an iPad, I couldn't imagine all those times when I didn't own one.

10. Smoothness macrumors regular

Jesus...how big is your house?

11. megsandbytes macrumors member

why not use one of many free VoIP apps to use on your iPad 2 for making phone calls?

12. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It's a tablet. It runs apps. Get over yourself...

It's not magical, it does not poop out ice cream, it's a computer without keyboard and specific set of software.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yup, and my 'computer without a keyboard' is awesome. I've got an iPad 2 on order (they just launched here in Japan last week) but I absolutely got my money's worth out of my old iPad. I mainly use it for books but my kids (3 and 1 y/o) love some of the educational apps I've got on it, and my wife uses it for Internet when she sees it lying around because it's much easier than getting the MacBook Air out (and the larger screen makes surfing more enjoyable than on her iPhone) ...

Good stuff, indeed.

14. specialk0449 macrumors member

I agree with what spiderman0616 says about the iPad. I bought the 1st generation iPad. I upgraded to the iPad2 when it came out. I really enjoy using it for business or personal tasks.

15. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Another great example. Welcome to the Post PC world.

16. Kupp macrumors regular

Between updates, syncing, air video, iTunes streaming, ect... I really see the tablet as an extension of ones computer, and extremely mobile peripheral if you will.

It is no post pc so much as a new interface. I will be upgrading my home computer to better serve this symbiotic relationship in the comming months, as well as investing in a better wireless network that extends through my whole yard.

While the iPad can opperate independently, the cables have not yet been fully cut.

17. Wheezie macrumors member

My iPad 2 will be in tomorrow. I already have a bunch of uses lined up for it.

1. Game Changer, so I can set up my sons little league games BEFORE I leave the house. I can track everything because it's my score book. I can upload the results when I get home.

2. E-reader. I will mostly ditch my Original Kindle which I have loved over the years. My 10yr old son want's it. (actually he wants the ipad...)

3. News Reader

4. Family Calendar for the kitchen

5. Weekly dinner menu. My new Fridge isn't magnetic on the front (stainless)

6. Epicurios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's only what is planned so far!

It won't replace my laptop though.

18. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Get out....

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

What a shame.

Good luck in your future.

20. Smoothness macrumors regular

Easier to get out than a mba?? Do you guys hear yourselves?

21. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yeah, between work and personal use, I am on a computer of some kind basically from the time I wake up until I go to bed at night. I too am finding daily that the iPad has changed the way I get and respond to information. It isn't so much that I can do things I wasn't able to before, rather that things are easier and/or more convenient.

I've noticed that my usage of my smartphone has gone down significantly as well, which is positive for my eyesight.

22. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Actually, I makes perfect sense if they aren't leaving the MBA on all of the time. Once you become accustomed to simply lifting the smart cover and doing whatever it is that you do on the iPad, it is difficult to do anything that requires more effort. It spoils you rotten forever.

23. Smoothness macrumors regular

I own a MBP and ipad 2, as well and that is ludicrous. Maybe because i leave my mbp on alot. maybe becuz it only takes 20 seconds for my mbp to start up and thats not a bigdeal.

different strokes

24. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

And maybe it's because it's not just time that matters but the experience. If I'm sitting on the couch or lying in bed, it's a hell of a lot easier and more pleasant to just grab a tablet. Much of it is the form factor. Propping a laptop up on my lap in bed or on a couch is unwieldy and awkward. Holding a tablet is like holding a book. Better experience.

25. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

not a smart move to delete ebooks on your iphone too..

iBooks can sync them wirelessly. So you can always continue reading on your iDevice. I do that all the time. Read on ipad @home, on iphone on the road.

(wished this could be done for apps, games, and video's too..)