iPad 2 and changing iTunes/Mac?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trellaine, Feb 7, 2013.

1. trellaine macrumors member

I have a new Mac but ipad and iphone were connected thru old Mac.

How do I get my ipad/iphone to synch with new mac/itunes?

Thanks

Easiest solution?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Do you have access to the old Mac? If so, move your iTunes folder and all of its content to the new Mac. Then when opening iTunes, hold down the Option key and select your old library.

If you don't, your iOS devices will need to copy their contents to iTunes. You can achieve this by plugging them in and right-clicking them and hitting 'transfer purchases'.

What are you trying to sync? If it's not media like music or videos, you don't really need to sync them anymore. If it's your contacts, just turn on iCloud on the Mac and iOS device and your contacts will be synced without iTunes.

3. trellaine thread starter macrumors member

Oh hey so glad someone responded-thanks!

I hate itunes with a passion but love apple hardware etc.

Yes i have access to my old mac.

I just want to make sure i am doing this right?

What steps? Sorry i always get frustrated. I just want my iphone or ipad to be exactly as they are now except using my new mac.

Thank you.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Just move your old iTunes folder to your new machine. Preferably in the same folder it was last time, but it doesn't have to be.

Then when you open iTunes, hold down the Option button which will ask you to open a library file.

Then browse to where you put your old iTunes folder and find your .itl file.

Once that is done, iTunes will be exactly like you had it before without having to move anything from your iOS devices.

Once all of that is done, just sync as you normally would.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Or make it easy on yourself and put the iTunes folder in the user Music folder where it expects it to be (replacing any that might be there already) and it will find the files when you open the program.

6. trellaine thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm well i have two devices linked to old mac. Does that matterr? is there still only ONE itunes folder which is for both devices?

Thanks