iPad 2 and iOS 6...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Snowy_River, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

So, I've looked over what Apple shows on their pages about what's new in iOS 6, and I really didn't see anything that WOWed me and made me really excited to upgrade my iPad 2. So, am I missing something, or is this a rather lack-luster update for iPad 2 owners?

Yes, the new maps app looks cool, but part of what I'm measuring against is giving up some of the minor functionality tweaks that I've applied through jailbreaking (i.e. iFile), and whether or not there's anything so cool that I'd be willing to go with out those for a while until a new JB solution is developed, so I can have the new features.

So, anyone see anything really cool that I'm missing?

2. iphone495 macrumors member

3. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I agree in that there is really not much in here to make me want to upgrade my ipad 2. I don't use photo stream and my iPad is wifi only so maps won't help me in the car. I will however be upgrading my iPhone 4s.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

But... I dont understand why you wouldnt upgrade the iPad? Makes no sense? Its free and takes little to nothing to do it? I would understand this post if the upgrade wasnt free.

5. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

It's free, but the price could be performance. My first-gen iPad's performance went into the toilet when I upgraded to 5. I wish I'd stayed with 4.x. The additional features of 5 are not worth the performance hit. Could be a similar problem with an iPad 2 going to 6.

6. 007p macrumors 6502a

They fixed the bug that didnt allow you to transfer large files between apps. i.e. a download app moving a video file to avplayerhd.

This is the only reason for me to upgrade. 5.x crippled the ipad for me, finally a fix to this stupid bug is welcomed.

7. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

If the iPhone 4 is any indication, I don't think you'll be paying a price in performance. With iOS 6 installed, my 4 has been running way smoother than it ever did with iOS 5. It really makes me sad that the 1st gen iPad isn't getting upgraded, because it could really use the improvements I've seen.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

ipad 2 will run fine on io6. Same processor iphone 4s. Apple tends to fully support the 4S and the performance doesnt take a hit.

Just remember ipad 1 kinda of got screwed in the RAM 256mb A4 processor. i
    phone 4 had double the RAM (512mb
    0 when it was released.

iPad 2 got same specs as iphone 4S but A5 runs full clock speed.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

Because it could take a perfectly smooth running iPad 2 and turn it into a device that runs slower after the update ala the iPad 1st gen with iOS 5.1 ;)

I'm now also debating the OS upgrade as well.

10. LanEvo macrumors 6502

The only thing that cripples any of the older devices is insufficient ram. Seriously the A4 will still run up in the mid range of performance, just that ram issues come I to play and make it slow.

11. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

There are TONS of reasons to upgrade to iOS 6.

Most of them are features in the API that developers can't talk about right now.

You're going to see a wave of software that requires iOS 6 to run over the next few months.

Smart developers will write apps that "degrade" gracefully and still work somewhat on iOS 5 with some features missing.

Other types of Apps really will rely in features found in iOS 6. For example the Real Racing demo at the iPhone roll-out relies on the new iOS 6 multiplayer API in Game Center.

I'm not sure what the strategy on iOS development is at Apple -- but let me say, this release was much more to give tools to App developers, and much less about end-user features.

12. Appleseeds macrumors regular

I still don't understand why the iPad 2 can't get Siri.

13. LanEvo macrumors 6502

It'd be a nice feature to have but almost everyone I have talked to including me think it is faster to just do it physically on the phone than Siri.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

… not while driving.

15. Dkorda macrumors 6502

No kidding. Don't blame it on the processor.

16. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Okay, here goes...

Siri: I've heard that the issue is that the microphone in the iPad 2 isn't good enough to support Siri. Now, I find this a little hard to swallow, as I used to use the original Siri on my iPad and never had a problem with it. Also, I've tested using Dragon Speech to Text on my iPad in a crowded restaurant, and it got almost everything I said (while my dad's "dumb" phone's voice dialing feature couldn't get a single name right in the same setting).

Performance: I would tend to agree that iOS 6 should perform fine on an iPad 2. The only significant change in the hardware between the iPad 2 and 3 was the GPU for driving the retina display, IIRC. And as others have pointed out, the iPhone 4s is on essentially the same hardware platform, too.

APIs for better gaming: Huh. That's cool, I guess. But it really doesn't effect me that much. My iPad is a work tool, an Internet portal, an ebook reader, and, sometimes, a movie player. When I do play games, they tend to be simple little time wasters, or the occasional logic puzzle based game. So, at least based on the example you offered, I don't see that this is all that interesting to me.

Big thing for me: As I use my iPad as a work tool, it's valuable for me to be able to move files around a little more freely than iOS natively likes to let you. For this reason, from the time I was able to, I've kept my iPad jailbroken simply to have iFile installed. With iFile, a camera connector kit and a USB SD card reader, I can copy files from my iPad to an SD card and hand the card and reader to someone else for loading onto their system,or vice versa.

When iOS 5 came out, there were sufficient improvements that I chose to upgrade even before the jailbreak was available. For that time, I dealt with less effective work-arounds to do the things that I wanted to do, but I was happy when the jailbreak became available. And now I'm just trying to assertain whether or not iOS 6 has the same temptation value.

Thus far, the answer seems to be a resounding "no".

(The only thing that comes close is the turn-by-turn navigation that's built into the maps app. But, as someone with a good sense of direction who is quite adept at reading maps, this is hardly a pressing need.)

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

18. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

I'm still running iOS 4.3.3 on my 1st gen iPad and it performs very poorly. Apps crash quite often and launching inbuilt apps such as Settings take forever. Has gotten worse over time. So upgrading to a newer iOS may not necessarily be the cause for poor performance.
    iPad 2 may function well with iOS 6 however some apps (inbuilt or 3rd party) may not do so well.
    I guess I should mention here that my iPad 1 is JB'n and has been tweaked so many times that that could be the reason for its sluggish performance. :p

Snowy_River and anyone else that is happy with how their JB'n iOS5x.x iPad 2 is performing should probably wait for other iPad 2 owners to upgrade to iOS6 and see what they say about it. Personally I can't see iOS6 features outweighing JB'n iOS5.x. If you're thinking how great it would be to have Siri on iPad 2, again you may want to wait for other owners to report back on how Siri performs.

19. toronado455 macrumors regular

toronado455

For someone buying a new iPad now and choosing between an iPad 2 and a Retina iPad, would future updates of iOS be a consideration?

I mean, even though Apple is still selling the iPad 2 right along side the new iPad, how much longer is an iPad 2 going to be a viable device? Will the iPad 2 support future versions of iOS?

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Biggest thing for me is that iMessages sent to my phone # can show up on my iPad (and Mac!).

21. brendu macrumors 68020

To drive sales of the iPad 3...

----

One nice thing is that you can finally add pictures from within the mail app.

22. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Just wondering since all I have seen is the what's new page...is the Facebook integration like an all or nothing thing? I would like being able to post photos directly and would like to be able to go on Facebook...but I definitely don't want my contacts and calendar syncing with my phone. Wouldn't mind having select contacts sync with Facebook like my android phone used to do but don't want the whole thing to sync.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Does anyone know if facetime over 3g works on the ipad2, seeing as to how it shares the same chip with the 4s?

Otherwise, the biggest gains seem to be improvements to safari and mail.

24. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

The biggest considerations would be what will you be using the device for & how often are you comfortable upgrading. iPad 2 has only 512MB of ram, I would imagine at some point that it will suffer from limitations around the lack of ram in much the same way that the iPad 1.

Want an iPad for educational games & apps for the kids? Want to surf the web casually, stream a bit of content, check email? Figure you'll upgrade in a year or so after iPad 4 is released & iPad 3 goes on sale! Great get the iPad 2 & enjoy it's goodness at a value price.

For people who plan on doing a lot of reading on a device, the screen on the iPad 3 just can't be beat in terms of preventing eye strain. If you are the type who only upgrades every other year or who finance upgrades by selling their old device. Get the 3 ! Also get the 3 if you tend to pass down your old devices to another family member.

----------

Because Apple currently is selling two tiers of products.. The value priced iPad 2 & the premium priced iPad 3. All customers must be served but there needs to be an added bonus feature to delight your premium product purchasers. It will be the same way with iPad 4, those customers will get features iPad 3 owners don't come iOS upgrade time.