iPad Ipad 2 and IOS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Matheew944, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Matheew944 macrumors regular

Do u think Ipad 2 and Ipad 3 wont receive any more IOS updates?

2. oldmacs, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

oldmacs macrumors 68040

It could go either way.

If iOS 9 is a performance update, I can't see why not.

The iPad 2 still holds a fairly significant share of the iPad market. More people are on the iPad 2, than any other iPad, which says something. Depending on which statistics you look at it holds around 23-27 percent of the iPad Market share. The iPad Mini 1, which is still for sale is identical to the iPad 2 hardware wise (Besides bluetooth) and it holds around 20 percent of the market share. Apple don't have a habit of dropping support for devices they still sell till a year after their discontinuation at minimum. So if the Mini 1 gets iOS 9, the iPad 2 should as well.

The iPad 3 which accounts for around 16 percent of iPads in use, would presumably get iOS 9 if the iPad 2 does.

If one A5 iPad gets iOS 9, they all will. The iPad 3 has more ram than the Mini 1 and iPad 2, but that would rip off owners of the iPad Mini, as it is a newer device than the iPad 3. The iPad 2 being supported would mean that the newer iPad 3 would need to be supported and the identical iPad Mini would have to be supported. If the iPad Mini is supported, than the identical iPad 2 has to be supported , and the iPad 3 who is newer would logically be supported.

However if iOS 9 performs significantly worse on the A5, its less likely that the iPad 2/3 will get an update. Apple seem to have three factors in supporting devices with updates. They are: The length of time since the device was last sold, how well the update will perform on the device and how many people are using that device.

3. Matheew944 thread starter macrumors regular

4. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Its because people are treating their iPads like computers and not updating them as much.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm still using an iPad 2. Yes it slows, but it gets the job done. There are times that I get frustrated and want to upgrade to an iPad Air 2, mainly because 512MB RAM is the real issue, but because I can still do everything that I need with the iPad 2, I continue to use it. Yes it would be nice to have a faster device, but considering my current iPad won't fetch much on resale, It's worth more to me to just use it. Maybe the iPad Air 3 will catch my eye.

That being said, I agree that if iOS 9 is just performance enhancements, that the iPad 2 will receive the upgrade. As iOS 8 progresses, the usability of the iPad 2 has increased. 8.1.3 is way better that 8.0.

6. Johnick macrumors member

I'm still running 7.1.2 on my iPad 2, as soon as they bring out a newer version of iOS that runs at least as well, then I'll upgrade.

7. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I'm hoping that if iOS 9 supports the iPad 2, that it brings performance back to iOS 7.1 levels.

8. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I picked up an Air 2 a couple months ago, but I did upgrade my old iPad 2 to iOS8 last week to see how well it would work, and I felt it ran better than it did with 7. Mileage may vary.

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

As an owner of an iPad 3; I would rather prefer that Apple not do that. Given what we have seen of Apple's coding prowess, using an iDevice on its 4th or 5th iOS upgrade is a recipe for sluggishness and frustration.

10. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Or maybe people who don't want to update don't update?

The end of iOS updates for a device means no more security updates and pretty much a non usable device for most icloud related and app update functions.

How about Apple releases iOS 9 as an optimisation focused release that supports A5 - then those who wish to use iOS 8 can stay on iOS and then those who want usability can update.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm running iOS 5 on my iPad 3 and iCloud still works for all my essential stuff.

12. oldmacs, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

oldmacs macrumors 68040

Yep - and its a security risk, can't use iCloud drive, can't open iWork documents made on the new iWork.. thats just for starters.

More to the point, your case proves my point. Apple can release iOS 9 and people who don't want it don't need to upgrade. If you need to wipe your device, you can do twitch the reset all. Then people like me who prefer features/security over speed can upgrade, and people who like speed over feautres/security can stay on iOS 8 or earlier.

If apple gets iOS 9 to work better than iOS 8 on A5 devices it would be great.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't worry about FUD.

14. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Exactly why Apple should release it and let people make up their minds. I'd rather not have my precious information on a device running software full of security holes regardless of the risk.

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think that would be a fair point if Apple actually gave complete freedom of choice. Prior to iOS 7; Apple will automatically force download the iOS installer on your device whenever plugged in and connected to WiFi. This installer could be several GB and is invisible to the OS. There is no way to delete it unless you choose to upgrade. On 16GB models, that installer could hold hostage up 30 - 40% of available storage. On newer iOS's; upgrade is still a one way path.

I believe that if Apple is so determined to have everybody upgrade, it should match that determination with competent engineers or provide a clear option for those who want to rollback and maintain product performance.

16. oldmacs macrumors 68040

With iOS 7.1 and later you can delete the update file - you go into Usage then iOS xxx (which ever version has downloaded) and press 'Delete Update'. It then should not download again...

17. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Wrong. I tried to delete but it still re-downloads it once it gets the chance. So ended blocking apple update server on my router.

18. oldmacs, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

oldmacs macrumors 68040

Strange - I've kept my parents on iOS 7 (Waiting for 8.2 or 8.3) on two iPads and two iPhones and it hasn't re-downlaoded on any of them...

With iOS 6 to iOS 7, I know it did auto-redownload if you removed it using some other method (and you couldn't delete it on the device)

The other workaround (if you're extremely space constricted) is not to leave the 5GB needed for iOS 8 to download...... if you've got more than 5GB available, then iOS 8 is not really taking storage space for ransom.

19. Johnick macrumors member

Anyone noticed any difference with 8.2 on the iPad 2 compared to the previous versions ?

20. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I've been asking/wondering the same.

I do have an iPad 2 that I previously upgraded from 7 to 8.1.x releases to 8.2, and it does feel better/faster to me on 8.2. But I'm totally spoiled by my Air 2 now so the iPad 2 still feels slow/sluggish in comparison, so I'd really like to hear from someone that is still using their iPad 2 on a daily basis.

21. ckc macrumors regular

I am using an iPad 2 and found that when I updated from ios7 to ios 8 it severely affected the speed websites loaded at and also the screen is less responsive to the touch.

So I won't bother with any more ios updates as the performance is very poor, if there was a way to revert to ios7 I would do so

22. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I have found that animations have more smaller jerkier animations generally, but less massive stuttering and complete frame-rate drops. Things also seem a bit faster.

I'm publishing a performance review soon to compare 7.0 to 8.0 to 8.1.3 to 8.2 on the iPad 2.

Apple has the incentive to improve iPad 2 performance. It is the same as the still for sale iPad Mini and around 45 percent of iPad users are on the iPad 2 or the iPad Mini 1. Also one of the main problems with iOS 8 and A5 devices is high RAM usage. Its an issue on 1 GB devices. If they reduce the ram consumption with iOS 9, then it no t only has improvements on 512 MB devices, but on 1 GB devices.