ipad 2 and ipad 3 display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrenzyBanana, Apr 3, 2012.

1. FrenzyBanana macrumors regular

my number one reason for buying an ipad is to showcase my photos and videos to my friends and family. (web-browsing, apps, typing is just a plus)

my question is... are the quality loss is really noticeable when viewing photos and videos on ipad 2 and ipad 3 in 100% view?

2. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

For video , yes. For photos, not so much. Remember everything will be clearer because of the retina display with slightly more color. Photos still look really good on the iPad2.

The biggest difference is going to be for text and high def video. If you are only watching youtube videos or "DVD" quality movies, it won't look much different.

3. FrenzyBanana thread starter macrumors regular

how about playing 720p videos (mkv and slr homevideos for example) on ipad 2 and ipad3? is the difference really noticeable?

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I own both and although the ipad2 holds its own side by side it's pretty night and day for photos and movies of all formats. The newer iPad is noticeably sharper and video and smoother

5. NTeggerdine macrumors member

I do a lot of photo editing, I'm a photographer by trade and it's a big hobby of mine. I started doing some editing on the iPad 2 but now with my iPad 3 I do most of my editing on it. Between the new photo shop app and iPhoto you can do a lot and the quality on the new iPad is second to none.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. Go to an Apple Store and look at the two side by side. You will notice the pixels on the iPad 2. The iPad 3 is well worth the $100 up charge.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

Concerning display :

iPad 2: ribeye
    new iPad 3 : filet mignon

Yes there is quite a discernible difference between the iPad 2 and new iPad screen.

8. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

720p video is going to look really good on iPad 2. Of course it will look a little better on the iPad 3 but 1080 will look much better on iPad 3. You are not going to notice any of the pixels even though the iPad 2 display is not retina with video.

The only places you are every going to actually "notice" pixels is on text and small images/icons. I love how everyone talks about the iPad 2 display like its a giant piece of crap now. The pixel density if still higher than any iMac or laptop (equal to 11 inch air at 132 ppi) Its still a really good display, just not "insanely" resolutionary like the new iPad.

9. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Why do people keep saying photos aren't that different? Unless you have low-res photos (below 2megapixel) there is a huge difference in quality. It is a really big jump in quality if you are a photographer trying to show people your work.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

+1. If anything, photos show a bigger difference. I'm theory, anything below 1080p should look the same on the two

11. FrenzyBanana thread starter macrumors regular

ist true that you will only see the difference if you zoom a photos?
    i don't actually zoom my photos when viewing. i always use 100%

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's noticeable at all levels of zoom, in fact it's probably more noticeable at 100% than zoomed in. The caveat is that the image has to be sufficiently high resolution. Just go look at the two screens, I'd be very surprised if you can't see the difference.

13. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

The camera roll is noticeable slower as the images are initially displayed in low-res. But after a sec or two, is displayed in all its full retina glory. You can zoom in on a bug on a flower. Pretty neat.

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

I've read a number of blog posts from pro photographers saying that the new iPad is a "revolutionary" advancement over the iPad 2 for showing off photo portfolios. This assumes you are showing images out of a good DSLR or higher end point-and-shoot of course.

The screen is so sharp that you can see a photo at 100% zoom that rivals the detail of a professional print.

The color saturation and accuracy is much better than other consumer displays and much better than the iPad 2.

DisplayMate said: "In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor."

http://gizmodo.com/5894445/the-best-tablet-display-guess-who

15. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I shoot with an 18-megapizel camera, and you can tell the difference in the screens regardless of zoom level. The photos are so much sharper and detailed on the new iPad that I've started using it more and more for working with my photos (that's also why I had to exchange my 32GB model for a 64GB model).

16. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It's the Colours on the new display that make a huge difference as well!!

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The display on the iPad 3 is so good that even using my 27" iMac for text-centric applications makes me want to go right back to the iPad. I find myself hitting the zoom button up one size on Safari on my iMac so the text looks better.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I think part of it is due to how OSX renders fonts. While the iPad definitely looks better, I don't have any issues reading text on my Windows PC. On my macbook, I find myself squinting. I understand that OSX is more true to what it'll look like in a print out... but I don't really care for that (should at least be a configurable option IMO)

19. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Not quite, as the iPad 2 can only display 576 vertical pixels when playing 16:9 video. So it has to scale down even 720P video.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

True, but scaling 720p up to 1152 vertical pixels wouldn't look great either. With 1080, at least it's a lot closer to the native res.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Or... it's due to the fact the the iPad 3 has more than twice the PPI than the iMac. :)

22. terraphantm, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

Well of course. But my point is that had OSX been like Windows, in which the fonts are optimized for pixel displays, than the crispness difference wouldn't be as apparent. The downside to pixel fonts is that what you see is not necessarily representative of what you get in a printout... but I would argue that doesn't really matter in a portable device.

I'm not trying to take away from the iPad display - it's a fantastic screen, and I can't wait for "normal" computers to get that kind of pixel density. But OSX font rendering has always bothered me; always looked blurry (until now thanks to the "retina" display)