iPad 2 and T-Mobile.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Zedero, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Zedero, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

Zedero macrumors newbie

Hello, as you might know, you can cut your T-Mobile sim card into a micro sim. The thing is, I keep getting told it will not work and the data will not be on the sim card and will not work. I want to know this, since I am pretty new to Apple products..I have an IPad 2 4.3.3 jail broken. Is there a app/gadget that enables 3G service without a sim card (I have a 3G iPad). I have unlimited 3G on my contract. I want to use this on my IPad somehow, without a sim card. Tl;dr, I want the 3G I already own, just on my iPad. It is very annoying to carry my phone and connect to it by using it as a router. Please tell me if there is anything on the 3rd party app list that does this. If you have any questions about what I am asking, please ask me. :)

2. Chorx macrumors regular

I'm not completely sure about this, but speaking as if it were a phone. Your data connection comes through a modem, your modem operates on a completely separate 'firmware' called a baseband. The baseband has no real influence on whether or not your device is jailbroken or not, but no software that has no access to the baseband, can't modify or write to the baseband, so until you can write to, or modify a baseband, you have to play by it's rules. We didn't break the ipad 2s baseband, thus we don't have an unlock to make it function outside of its ATT rule set. That's how I understand it at least, it's just an educated theory, and I could be completely wrong, I'd also love to hear more how basebands work, and if I was even close.

3. Bloodkip macrumors newbie

You can use the iPad 2 on T-Mobile considering all iPads are sold unlocked, I believe. Maybe, you can plug your T-Mobile sim into your ipad and data may work, considering the sim ATT gives you are data only sim. If you wanna make calls make a google voice account and talkatone. The sim card is like a ID, without it, data won't work.

4. bruinai macrumors newbie

I've used my tmobile sim card in my ipad 2 before, the data works, just not on 3G so your internet is super slow. Stick with tethering.

5. Zedero thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I thought that was only for iPad 1. I tether using a program on my HTC HD2. It sucks sooooo much. I got tethering service, and it turns out my phone supports "real tethering" via USB. Tell me, can you tether from anywhere or do you have to bring your phone with you?

6. ~Ks383~ macrumors 6502

How else would you tether? What would you connect your ipad to?

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Just a list of facts (some, if not all of these have already been stated):

All GSM iPads are unlocked.

Your iPad WILL work on t-mobile!

You may have to change APN settings (does NOT require jailbreak) for it to work with t-mobile.

For t-mobile in the US, your 3G will NOT work, T-Mobile in the US operates its 3G on a different frequency that is not compatible with the 3G on current iOS devices. EDGE (or "2G") will work fine.

8. Zedero thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no way to get 3g and not 2g? How much faster is one than the other?

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

AT&T 3G vs 2G is like DSL vs dialup. There absolutely no way to get t-mobile 3G on an iPhone or iPad.

10. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

My friend who works for Apple Corporate asked me if I could throw him on to my employee line at work (T-Mobile) to use on his iPad 2. I sent him the Micro SIM card with the service on it and it worked fine.

As other members state, it's just like the iPhone by only getting EDGE speeds. Since he's generally at work or in range of Wi-Fi, the EDGE speeds work for him since he only uses it for e-mail or instant messaging on the go.

That is what I'm going to do when I finally give in and get an iPad. I can handle the EDGE speeds when I'm not on Wi-Fi or at work and my car has a mobile hotspot in it so it would be manageable.

Just reiterating to the OP that they do work without any configuration on the iPad with T-Mobile service.

11. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

T-mobile + apple devices = EDGE = super slow internet