Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spmiz12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Just wondering, there has been alot of talk about the iPad 2 will include a USB port; if so, do you think you will be able to use a external USB thumdrive to add external capablility to the internal memory?? Or will it not be allowed to be utilized that way????

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Just wondering, there has been alot of talk about the iPad 2 will include a USB port; if so, do you think you will be able to use a external USB thumdrive to add external capablility to the internal memory?? Or will it not be allowed to be utilized that way????

There's been a lot of talk about lots of things. Few will actually appear on the next iPad. Don't count on USB being there.

spmiz12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

MrWillie said:
Considering there is a USB port now, of course iPad 2 will have one. Will you be able to use it for anything other than picture import ? Probably not.

Please try to help me understand then ( am I am not being upity, just trying learn) why would apple bring out a 2nd generation ?? To only have a front and rear cam?? Seems there has been alot of talk about the display not changing enough either... I get so confused because when you would upgrade a product, don't you hope you advance it??? Why wait for a 2 then, just wondering???

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

poloponies said:
Considering there is a USB port now, of course iPad 2 will have one. Will you be able to use it for anything other than picture import ? Probably not.

There's a USB adapter. Big difference.

Trying to learn, I don't have an iPad but am holding off for new release; what is the USB adapter??? How will that differ from a USB port for photos???

Last edited by a moderator:

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court

USB adaptor does not work without a USB port.

USB is part of the 30 pin dock connector. Look how thick the iPad is, do you really think a full USB port is practical? Oh, mini or micro USB port ? Well you would still need an adapter to plug your thumb drive in.

No difference.

Please try to help me understand then ( am I am not being upity, just trying learn) why would apple bring out a 2nd generation ?? To only have a front and rear cam?? Seems there has been alot of talk about the display not changing enough either... I get so confused because when you would upgrade a product, don't you hope you advance it??? Why wait for a 2 then, just wondering???

Upgraded dual core CPU, upgraded ram, gyro, upgraded screen, so yes, it will be more advanced.

We will know the details when they are announced. Some people upgraded because they feel the need, brain is wired differently, gotta have a camera, always wait for 2nd gen, spouse wants one , who knows.

Why wait for gen 2? Are you one of the people that will go crazy when the newer model comes out and your neighbor gets one and you are still using a 1st gen? Do you need a camera ? Will you try to use the iPad as a desktop and attempt to have 20 pages open in Safari at once, and when they reload, come on Mac Rumors and cry like a little school girl ? Only you can decided to wait or not.

spmiz12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009

MrWillie said:

USB is part of the 30 pin dock connector. Look how thick the iPad is, do you really think a full USB port is practical? Oh, mini or micro USB port ? Well you would still need an adapter to plug your thumb drive in.

No difference.

Upgraded dual core CPU, upgraded ram, gyro, upgraded screen, so yes, it will be more advanced.

We will know the details when they are announced. Some people upgraded because they feel the need, brain is wired differently, gotta have a camera, always wait for 2nd gen, spouse wants one , who knows.

Why wait for gen 2? Are you one of the people that will go crazy when the newer model comes out and your neighbor gets one and you are still using a 1st gen? Do you need a camera ? Will you try to use the iPad as a desktop and attempt to have 20 pages open in Safari at once, and when they reload, come on Mac Rumors and cry like a little school girl ? Only you can decided to wait or not.

I wasn't trying to upset you or others, just trying to ask questions probably many of us have; yet some like to take personal attacks because they feel they are so smart....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

There will be more upgrades than just the cameras.

The most conservative rumors say there will be a better quality display (not necessarily retina), double ram, cameras, faster cpu, and the same gyros as the iPhone.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010

I wasn't trying to upset you or others, just trying to ask questions probably many of us have; yet some like to take personal attacks because they feel they are so smart....

It didn't upset me at all. I have been hoping Apple opens this bad boy up a little bit, but seeing what's happening on the app/ iBook stores is making me wonder if I like the direction they are going.

Last edited:

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010

Well its not just cameras. More RAM, probably some improvements in processor and a better quality display (not higher resolution but an antiglare screen).

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

No difference.

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Just because Apple implements some functionality for USB connectivity doesn't make it a USB port. As you are likely aware Apple has dropped the spec on the USB adapter in the recent software update, so it's nowhere near the functionality of a USB port (which won't happen in any case).

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about. Just because Apple implements some functionality for USB connectivity doesn't make it a USB port. As you are likely aware Apple has dropped the spec on the USB adapter in the recent software update, so it's nowhere near the functionality of a USB port (which won't happen in any case).

Pin 16 (USB ground)
Pin 23 (USB +5)
Pin 25 (Data -)
Pin 27 (Data +)

Pins 18 & 21 are also used to put iDevices into different modes (21) and for USB power for camera connector (18)

FireWire and standard serial data are there also. It's just that Apple chooses to lock down the USB port in SOFTWARE. All it takes is a simple ( :) ) hack. Remember the success people were having plugging in USB keyboards under 3.2 ? Now that we have 4.2, that feature is gone. It's there, but it's locked down. Unlock it.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010

Apple Never ever wants to do anything externally. They want to lock you down in itunes. They don't want you to replace batteries. They don't want you to run flash. etc.

There is no freedom. If you want freedom, then go for android. But, Android has their own issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.