Ipad 2 and verizon drama

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by juggler1972, Jun 22, 2013.

1. juggler1972 macrumors newbie

For the last 2 weeks I am having major connectivity issues between my ipad 2 and my home wireless network . To summarize

IPAD WI-FI 3G 32GB WHITE - VERIZON USA version works great at starbucks wifi , bookstore wifi , and my buddies home network . My son watched the highlights of NBa finals video game 7 in the cart while I cruised through Home depot over wifi. However, when I get home Ipad 2 cant find the Verizon home network at the kitchen table or the upstairs. It works if I am 2 feet in front of the router -- if I take 3 steps to the left it cant find the home network or it goes down to a single bar. Im sitting at the kitchen table currently in my 5 year old townhouse and ipad 2 cant find network BUT right next to ipad 2 is iphone 4s is connected w/3 bars and so is ipad 1, Macbook pro, and work laptop.

Went to apple store . Reset network settings, did a complete Ipad 2 reset , turned off wifi and then turned it on again, wiped Ipad 2 and reset using a backup from icloud etc. Employee said " if device works here in the store wireless and at the coffee shop must be something wrong with your home Verizon network. "

Called Verizon troubleshooted home network -- router worked fine but reset it anyway, changed name of network, changed password , changed from WEP to WPA and did a hard reset of router just for good measure. Home network seems to be working fine -- tried a few different channels with no change in signal strength. Still same problem with Ipad 2 working only when standing in front of it .

Verizon Phone Tech said "if your other Apple devices are working and have good signal strength it must be a problem with your Ipad 2 "

So here I am with an ipad 2 that cant connect to wifi in my home . I have used up all my 3g data plan after 1 week. I went back to my apple store and they said I am out of warranty so buy a new Ipad for 25o bucks -- even though this Ipad 2 works great on every wifi network that is not mine

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Please dont bother forwarding me a link from the apple support website -- I have gone through them all 3 times each. Everything has been reset incl ipad and verizon router . I updated my ipad 2 to IOS 6.1.3 thinking that would help but it didnt . I renewed lease, turned wifi off and then on , reset network settings and on and on . There is no interference I am aware of in my home no new cordless phones or microwaves.

I hate when one vendor points to the other and says its the others fault. Thanks in advance

2. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Buy a new wireless router from best buy. Run an ethernet cable from the verizon router or whatever you are using to the new router. See if you are able to pick up a better signal with the new router.

Also possibly you could be running into interference with another wireless router, if everyone is running on the same channel. It's a long shot, but you could change the channel in your router settings to some other than 6 or 11 depending on what you are using G or N.

3. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

So this has nothing to do with the fact that your iPad has 3G, right? This post is misleading and confusing, I can't tell if you're talking about home WIFI or your Verizon 3G "home" service.

Get a new router, ISP supplied routers are usually junk. There's no reason an iPad would be picky and only connect to routers outside of your home.

----------

Only if you're made of money :D

Amazon, Newegg, etc. are much better alternatives and you'll save a boatload of cash, as well as avoid unknowledgeable sales vultures.

4. juggler1972, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

juggler1972 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking about the wireless network at my house . Nothing fancy . My service provider is Verizon fios for my tv Internet and phone . Verizon has provided me an actiontec router. I set up a wireless network using the provided actiontec router. Wifi on my ipad 2 worked like a charm for 2 years at my kitchen table -- when I travel I use the 3G connectivity on the iPad 2 . For some reason the wifi has stopped working on my ipad2 at home while every other apple device connects beautifully . The ipad2 wifi works at the coffee shop near my house.

If Still confusion let me know. thx for help

QUOTE=burnout8488;17474124]So this has nothing to do with the fact that your iPad has 3G, right? This post is misleading and confusing, I can't tell if you're talking about home WIFI or your Verizon 3G "home" service.

Get a new router, ISP supplied routers are usually junk. There's no reason an iPad would be picky and only connect to routers outside of your home.

----------

Only if you're made of money :D

Amazon, Newegg, etc. are much better alternatives and you'll save a boatload of cash, as well as avoid unknowledgeable sales vultures.[/QUOTE]

----------

Ill try it thanks