iPad 2 app crashing

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Amnak, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

That that many people have iPad 2s but has anyone noticed that apps that used to have no problems crash all the time now. I'll list some feel free to add on.

Weather channel app
    Words with friends hd

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

For some reason words with friends crashes all the time with me, I have to relaunch the app 3 or 4 times sometimes

3. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Infinity Field - a great game. It crashes with 4.3. Developer fixed it. It crashes again with 4.3.1. They just fixed it again. Now, it works perfectly. Only other that I noticed is the Mahjong game. Apps I used often, no problem. I got over 256 apps.

4. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

It makes me want to through my iPad at the wall, apparently teeter is starting to act up too, can I file a complaint?

5. mlfarrell macrumors member

It's the dual core. Same thing happened with tons of PC programs when the first dual core CPUs came out. Apps that are written that use threads but are not thread safe will have these flaws exposed when run on dual core. Give it a few months for devs to catch on and fix their bad habits with updates.

6. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene doesn't crash per se, but it doesn't work properly.

7. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Tapatalk, twitter and friendly for iPad crash for me.

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

GT Racing Academy, Fumes Stunt Racer both have graphics issues

9. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Hmmm im afraid this is the biggest flaw with the App Store and Apple

Far too many frequent Apple updates that break the app compatibility.

Apple update the firmware however app developers cannot find the time to update the app constantly (prob too busy developing new apps then go backwards)

I can understand this being a problem if it was like say running DOS games on Windows 7 desktop however the iPad is barely a year old and there are thousands of incompatible apps which crash.

Apple maybe need to do something about this fast with their dev app as its ludicrous in my opinion that I have invested a fair amount of dosh in apps that will not work with a new firmware update!

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Interesting, don't have a problem with either of those. I know words with friends HD and even the iPhone version use about 80-100MB when running, so if you have a lot of stuff "frozen" in your multitasking dock it could lead to a crash. Only app I've had problems with is System by Recession Apps, and they just updated it and I'm good to go.

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

Its a problem both ways .... look at many android devices that never get newer releases of firmware and are stuck on older versions which newer apps aren't compatible with...

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Words with friends crashed so much I deleted it.

13. Amnak, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense it's not like apple gave many if any devs an iPad 2 to try and develop on. Come to think of it with the lack of supply I'm wondering how many devs even have one.

14. mlfarrell macrumors member

I got one only cause I ordered minutes within online release. I was paranoid about my app not working at all on iPad 2 because my app makes some pretty dangerous assumptions about the way the GPU operates. Not on purpose, but because it was the only fast way to do the operations on an iPad with the limited OpenGL ES.

15. RogersDA macrumors 6502

Tapatalk, NASDAQ QFolio HD, Twitter, iBooks (when browsing the library for new books), SmugMug all crash frequently on two iPads.

16. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

No problem with any of my apps, including TWC for iPad.

17. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

I find it strange that people have varied results with app crashing

18. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

I'd been wondering about this, since I've seen the CNN, Friendly and BBC app all crash on my iPad 2. Being a programmer I was tempted to plug my home iPad in to XCode and see what was going on as I couldn't understand why well known apps were crashing. But this makes perfect sense!!!

19. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Try Intellicast HD

20. RogersDA macrumors 6502

Yeah - it does make sense....but then System app just crashed on the iPad :confused:

21. secondcup macrumors member

secondcup

I have been experiencing the same thing. This is my first iPad, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have been getting random crashes from many apps. Apps that perform well on my Touch crash repeatedly on the iPad2. I thought it might be the OS, but now I'm not sure...

22. bcool macrumors newbie

iPad 2 app crashing

I have the seen the same issue but only on 3g enabled iPad2 - I think the earlier guy might be on to something with the code for the apps not being up to snuff-like WSJ and Weather channel app (apps that crash constantly) but not just because of not being written to account/take advantage of multi-threading dual core- but more because of NOT being written for 3g enabled iPad2s- perhaps the code was written for or only tested on Wi-Fi only ipad2 or the original iPad and does not know how to switch or throttle down for the lesser bandwidth on 3g vs. Wi-Fi . Need to check into this further....:cool: