iPad 2 as Apple TV FaceTime HD camera?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roland.g, May 9, 2011.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Has anyone tried using the new iPad 2 with its HD back camera (which I think supports higher resolution for FaceTime than the front) - connected with the new HDMI dongle to a TV, facing the camera to the room so that the rear camera is used - but using the TV to view since you can't see the screen if you are using the back cam to talk to - all with a new MacBook Pro or iMac with FaceTime HD.

I think this would turn your TV into an FaceTime equipped TV - like I think an Apple TV with a USB webcam mounted along the bottom or top of the TV would - and give you use of the HD picture, rather than the VGA of the front camera. Someone using this setup on either end, or with a newer iMac or MacBook Pro with FaceTime HD would have a much improved webcam picture.

On another note, I use iChat, or Skype or FaceTime now with my 2008 Aluminum MacBook, my 2007 24" iMac, or my iPad 2 --> to either my mom using her 2003 12" PowerBook with original iSight, or my dad with his 2009 24" iMac or iPhone 4 so they can see our kids on weekend mornings. My understanding is that the even the 2009 21.5" & 27" and 2010 iMacs (pre FaceTime HD) have much better iSights than my old 2007 24" and even the 2009 24" (certainly the original clip mounted iSight on the PowerBook)?

2. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have done this a few times and hooking your iPad 2 to a TV via the HDMI adapter works fine, but not in the way that you would like it to.

The rear camera only records in HD, but when you do FaceTime, the quality becomes the same as the front VGA, very low res.

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Is the same true of the iPhone 4, or can you not even use the new dongle to mirror the screen on a TV?