iPad 2 as main computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gonnabuyamacbsh, Apr 10, 2011.

1. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

for my friend.

she'll be using the ipad for browsing the web, watching videos, and writing lots and lots of documents. she's thinking of getting the iPad 2 16gb wifi. doesn't need a lot of storage.

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

NO. Writing and ipad weren't made for each other when you need to do it over and over again. Get macbook air

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I don't know. What if you get a bluetooth keyboard and an HP E-Print printer? I think that could work for writing.

4. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

It'll work just fine...
    d/l Pages and a blewteef keyboard.. no problem !

5. ani23 macrumors 6502

Possibly in a couple of years but not now.

Try using one for some time before you decide.

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Define writing. If writing only text, then yes. Just get a bluetooth keyboard, or the iPad dock. However, if writing involves equations, figures, tables, citaton of references, then get a real computer.

7. gonnabuyamacbsh thread starter macrumors 6502

she thinks 1k for a laptop (any laptop) is too much. I agree with her.
    just writing papers and stuff for school. she'll email them to herself and print it from school

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Then she should get a netbook. Apple products aren't the only things out there that can do the job, and maybe a netbook would be better suited for her.

That right there, shows that an iPad can't be a primary computer.

9. gonnabuyamacbsh thread starter macrumors 6502

I know... I'm telling her but she wants a tablet. I know the ipad is the best tablet on the market so if she's gonna buy something I want it to at least be the ipad.

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

ah, well... Try a MacBook Pro. Buy less stuff, but the few things you do get, go for quality.

As far as an iPad as your only computer or for extensive writing, try the Zagg keyboard case, or this http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/e65a/

11. ani23 macrumors 6502

Ask her to get a thinkpad or latitude. the iPad won't eally do everything she needs at that same pace. You can get good x201's around $700. Get an iPad as a side benefit device when she can afford it.

12. gonnabuyamacbsh thread starter macrumors 6502

if I could convince her to get a laptop it would be the thinkpad x120e. not an apple, but still a quality machine.

she just saw the keyboard... she wants it :p

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The iPad 2 is not a computer, it's a companion device. Depends on your uses, but I could never do it.

14. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

second that. it is a much better option based on your stated requirements.

15. gonnabuyamacbsh thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying to convince her to get the thinkpad but she doesn't want a laptop. stupid girl :mad:

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It seems like she's set her mind on the iPad, for everything else that the iPad can do. The writing part is just something that iPad can also do, even though very poorly, but sounds better as a reason. She's not stupid, just didn't tell you everything.

17. ani23 macrumors 6502

Personally I believe you can't convince everyone with experience. Let them make their mistakes and they will learn from it.

iPads got a pretty much original resale value so it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

18. Stefx73 macrumors regular

The iPad isn't a computer replacement and wasn't meant to be one.

It's a mobile extension, allowing you to do many tasks away from the computer. You still need a computer.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

That's not true. I have been trying to sell my 64 GB 3G for $500, and all I got were insulting offers.

20. ani23 macrumors 6502

That's strange. Well dunno if it's because of the 3G. But it really shouldn't be. Hit me up if you are still on the market. My dad wants one for use in India and if it's in good condition I will jump. P.s. Needs to be white.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think that if her budget is $1k, then the MacBook air is a better idea. The iPad is a very good companion device, but it can't be a primary computer, yet. Tablets might get there, but they're not there yet.

22. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I use my iPad for writing all the time. I use both the on screen keyboard and at times the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. I've had no problems.

I believe that people who claim you can't write papers on an iPad have not really tried or given up to easily. I'll agree that it is not a full blown computer, but it is much closer than the naysayers want to admit. Putting in footnotes and the like is not presently supported, but that may change at any time.

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Get an Air. The iPad is too slow for an only computer.

24. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

As happy as you are using your iPad for writing, would you still pick the iPad if you are only allowed to keep one "computer/iPad"?

25. iEvolution macrumors 65816

As others have said, its not designed to be a computer.

If it were it would be completely independent, but as it stands right now it is dependent on iTunes, which means it would need a computer to really do anything with outside of its default functions.