iPad 2 as powerful as a PowerBook G4!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anthonymoody, Mar 15, 2011.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

If you've not seen it, Geoffrey Goetz posted a very cool series of benchmark results over at GigaOm comparing the iPad, iPad 2, and iPhone 4. Certain aspects of these results have been discussed here.

However, one result of the tests seems to have flown under the discussion radar: from a raw computational standpoint (as measured by Geekbench) the iPad 2 is on par with a 1.3Ghz PowerBook G4.

I find that pretty remarkable. Goetz reaches the inevitable conclusion that since one can be so productive on an iOS device, we shouldn't focus on raw performance numbers. While I completely agree with the conclusion, I approach it from sort of the opposite pov. He feels the iPad 2 is "only" as powerful as the G4 PB. I think "WOW the iPad 2 is as powerful as a G4 PB!"

(btw current MBPs are 15x as powerful as the iPad 2 on the same test!)

I pondered this in greater depth in my blog, but at the end of the day, and a zillion differences between the devices and their OS's notwithstanding, I think this is pretty cool.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, I had noticed the CPU geekbench on iPad 2 & my Powerbook 1.5 being very similar.

I, like you, think it's impressive this device can be as fast as a solid notebook of 5-6 years ago.

However, at the same time, it shows how important the software is. My Powerbook has 1.5 GHZ G4 and 1.5 GB of RAM, but it's dead slow in Leopard. You really don't want to use it.

iPad 2 is obviously very fast.

3. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

I'm on my powerbook g4 1.33 right now! Also has 512mb of RAM, it's like an iPad with a keyboard built in!