iPad 2 At&t 3G microsim from iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TechJunkieee, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TechJunkieee macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Can anyone who bought a iPad 2 AT&T 3G version who also has an iPhone 4 confirm that the microsim from the iPhone4 can be switched with the iPad 2s microsim to "borrow" the Internet data?

I know it was possible with iPad 1, not sure with iPad 2. Thanks.

2. rutiger, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

rutiger macrumors regular

just tried and it didn't work. ipad keeps saying cellular data needs to be activated.

*just read in another thread that you have to change the apn. I didn't know that and try it. But someone else said it works fine.

3. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I just posted in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1110889 that I don't see a way in the iPad 2 to change the APN settings. Not sure if that is new to iOS 4.3 or iPad 2, but I can't find it. Are you able to change the APN settings on the iPad 2?

4. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Some people had said that their 3G iPads were showing messages saying that AT&T required a data plan whenever they tried the switch.

5. Ainkor macrumors newbie

I did just that, threw my unused iPhone 4 sim in my new iPad 2 and got a nasty message this morning from AT&T basically telling me that I had 30 days to get a proper plan on it or I would be cut off.

I called AT&T and had them switch my iPhone 4 plan to the iPad post pay plan and it's all good!

I was actually surprised that they did it, but ask for a supervisor. The front line reps are not trained well on the new post pay plans.

If you just want to do it occasionally, you probably should be fine but just be aware that they can almost immediately tell if you switch em.

6. wildonrio macrumors 6502

But does doing that make your iPhone SIM no longer work in your iPhone? I just want to be able to use my iPhone SIM in the iPad as I please so I don't have to tether using MyWi all the time. (This is for an iPad 2 by the way.)

7. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I don't think that's possible anymore.

MyWi with on demand is very convenient and does not use that much battery.

8. hohohong macrumors 6502

I wanna know if the other way round, originally asked by OP works?

AKA AT&T iPad 2 data only microsim and plugged into iPhone 4 (with the correct "blank" APN setting)

9. hohohong macrumors 6502

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

10. fherjohn macrumors newbie

With the new software apn settings can't be changed

11. hohohong macrumors 6502

You mean iPad or iPhone? I don't have to change anything on the iPad, just the iPhone APN. Currently using iPhone 4 with 4.2.1.

12. bwrairen macrumors 6502