iPad 2 ATV2 Mirroring

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ifti, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Any further details on the mirroring with the iPad2 and ATV2?

I use AirPlayer at the moment to view DivX movies streamed directly from my NAS (DLNA enabled).
    Will I be able to therefore play these via Airplay straight to an Apple TV2?
    If so I'll be ready to buy an ATV2 and get rid of my PS3, which I only ever use to stream movies at the moment!

On the other hand, I hear it will mirror video only - no audio?

2. britishchris macrumors newbie

ATV2 Mirroring will take whatever is on your iPad 2 screen and mirror it on the TV. That's all. Dunno about sound.

If you want to get rid of the PS3 and get an ATV2 then you can always get one, Jailbreak it and install xbmc on it. It should be able to read the files from your NAS and stream them off it. It's what I do (though not using a NAS, but my MacBook with shared folders)

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Thats exactly what Im tempted to do, but would just be nice if I didnt have to go through the bother of jailbreaking etc!

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm fairly confident and certain sound will be included, if you airplay any video on your iPad now sound is there, so what would make it disappear now?

5. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

There are a few videos on YouTube already, and they have sound. The larger question for me is will it allow you to output to your TV certain apps such as HBO GO which is currently restricted.

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

So I should be able to use the app 'AirPlayer' to stream the DivX movies from my NAS (as I do now) and then use AirPlay to stream it through an AppleTV2 straight to my main TV?

7. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I'm assuming it will since everything is mirrored, so any app will be displayed on the larger screen regardless of whether it supports TV-out or not.

8. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Why does it not fill the entire screen though!

9. rikbrown macrumors regular

Does it actually use AirPlay, or is it some magic in ATV2?

i.e. could I stream from my iPad to another device that supported AirPlay playback (I think someone made a client for OS X, for example).