iPad 2 auto brightness issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ccsicecoke, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

I've been searching this for a while but no hit. I wonder if it's only me having this issue.

Turn on auto brightness on iPad. Screen is locked.
    Turn off all lights in a dark room. unlock the screen and the brightness should be low due to low environment light. Now turn on the light so the screen automatically becomes brighter, then turn off the light again. Usually at this point the brightness should immediately fall back to low again but on my ipad it wouldn't change unless manually lock the screen and unlock it again.

This issue is annoying and I have to turn off the auto brightness.

Does anyone have the same issue or it's just me?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

When I remove/uncover my screen using the smart cover, I notice it adjusts the brightness in only a second or two. Looks like it works as it should.

3. ccsicecoke thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently you didn't follow my procedure. Please out it in a dark room, uncover your screen, turn on all lights in the room then turn them off, see if the brightness falls back?

4. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I think it only takes a reading of the light sensor at certain times, such as unlocking, and perhaps going to home screen? Same thing happens on my iPhone under iOS 4.3.

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No worries, it's been like this since - I believe - iOS 4 (because in iOS 3 it went down as well) on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

I believe it will use the moment at which most light comes to calculate how bright the backlight must be. For some reason, or it really is a bug, Apple removed the check to lower the backlight again in iOS 4.