Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansiedejong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The Netherlands, Europe
As the iPad 2 launch was one week ago here in The Netherlands and the waiting time is now over 4 weeks, my MacBook was in repair because of a stuck HDD. I didn't want to buy it and wait a week to sync it with iTunes and all my apps. Downloading all those apps on the iPad itself would take hours. So my plan now is I'm going to pick an iPad 2 when I'll visit California in 1 month (April 29th). It's a lot cheaper in the US and I will be able to buy it in an official Apple Store...

So I will start in LA and drive to SF. I know the current availability is low (?) and people wait every morning for new iPads... So what will be my chances to get one at the end of April around LA? Will be a white one, don't know 16 or 32 GB or 3G. Will see.

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
So I will start in LA and drive to SF. I know the current availability is low (?) and people wait every morning for new iPads... So what will be my chances to get one at the end of April around LA? Will be a white one, don't know 16 or 32 GB or 3G. Will see.

Ask us in a month. Obviously we have no way of knowing now.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
The supply should be much better, as supply will have just about caught up with demand...Also, hopefully, the quality control issues will have been solved by then. Of course, nobody can really say with certainty, but this is just my hunch.

mikecenizal

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
shouldn't be too bad. the local best buys in my area (so cal) almost always have the higher capacity 3G models in stock..

luckysob

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
I think that the supply will be better stocked as we continue to move forward.

There was actually iPad2 stock in the local Apple store here in L.A. yesterday late afternoon. That is, if you wanted a 64GB GSM model. The fact that they had anything at all @ 3 pm is step in the right direction.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
If the supply chain was normal, I'd say you'll have no problem. However, with the tsunami and supply constraints, I don't know if there will be a shortage in a month or not. Apple will do everything I can to get the necessary supplies and keep the iPad coming though.

hansiedejong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The Netherlands, Europe
So as my trip is less than 10 days away I wanted to know how the stock is at this moment. I will be picking up the iPad next week Friday 29th or Saturday 30th in LA, 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G AT&T White. What will be the best Store. I thought The Grove as it's the largerst. Or maybe the other 2 in LA. Will all the stores be getting iPads delivered each day? Or maybe even Santa Monica where I'll be Monday 2nd?

Thanks for all the info!

XXFirefighter

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
crystal-ball.jpg

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Don't overestimate the power of forums - they're not really 'that' many people.

Honestly you just gotta try. This is a completely different time in technology history; we are truly in a PC era. Where specific devices supplies ar constrained due to the mass use of these devices.

How bad do you want it? Enough to devote 1/2 a day going to all the stores? I hear Toys R Us sells em now. Radio shack gets a few here and there. There's best buy, wal mart, SAMs club, target too. The Verizon store downstairs at my office has stock. Don't give up.

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
I would think between target, toys r us, best buy and apple stores both in LA and SF you'll have no problems finding one. Worst case, find one on craigslist.

MacBookPr0

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Te availability should be better if they don't run out of parts since the tsunami has knocked out sone factories, but my bet is you won't have to much trouble if your willing to look around a little

hansiedejong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The Netherlands, Europe
So as my flight is tomorrow (AMS - LAX 11 hour flight), I am still concerned about the stock... should I? Will I be able to go to the Apple Store The Grove on Saturday and pick one up or do you guys really think that's impossible? Just askin', really want one. I will BTW drive from LA to San Francisco so overthere I even could try it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.