Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

085400-ipad_2_hand.jpg

Apple today officially announced its iPad 2 U.S. launch plans for tomorrow, including revealing for the first time that online sales will begin at 1:00 AM Pacific Time / 4:00 AM Eastern Time. As previously announced, in-store sales at Apple retail stores and other retail partner stores will begin at 5:00 PM.Apple today announced that iPad 2, the next generation of its magical device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading ebooks and much more, will be available tomorrow at 5 p.m. local time at all 236 Apple retail stores in the US and through the Apple Store (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. PT. Every customer who buys an iPad 2 at an Apple retail store will be offered free Personal Setup service, helping them customize their iPad 2 by setting up email, loading new apps from the App Store and more, so they'll be up and running with their new iPad 2 before they leave the store. iPad 2 will also be available beginning at 5 p.m. local time at AT&T, Best Buy, Target, Verizon Wireless, Walmart and select Apple Authorized Resellers.The broad distribution and daytime launch should hopefully limit long lines, but the lack of online pre-orders may drive more customers who do not want to wait for shipping from the online store to line up at retail stores.

Initial stock levels for Apple retail locations are currently unknown, but we have received word from an employee of one Best Buy location that is looking to have 100-150 units on hand, spread relatively evenly across all nine models (three capacities each of Wi-Fi, AT&T 3G and Verizon 3G) with a slight emphasis on the entry-level 16 GB Wi-Fi model.

Update: AT&T and Verizon have also issued press releases announcing availability for tomorrow. In line with Apple's plans, AT&T will begin taking online orders at 1:00 AM Pacific Time, with in-store availability set for 5:00 PM local time. Verizon appears to only be offering in-store sales at "select" retail stores beginning at 5:00 PM local time.

AT&T's press release also notes that the personal hotspot functionality included in iOS 4.3 will be available to customers on the $45/month data + tethering plan. Interestingly, the wording makes no mention of the iPhone 4, in fact suggesting that tethering and hotspot functionality is available on iPad data plans. Apple has been clear, however, that the personal hotspot functionality is for the iPhone 4 only, but can obviously be used to provide on-the-go data access for Wi-Fi-only iPads linked through an iPhone.

Article Link: iPad 2 Availability Tomorrow: 1:00 AM Pacific Online, 5:00 PM Local In-Store

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
How long are people gonna have to wait in line if everybody who buys one gets time to set it up with a store employee?

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't understand the 5pm launch time, though. So basically the stores will be open all day and people will be twiddling their thumbs, then 5 pm rolls around and they start selling them. Why not just have a "launch day" instead of a "launch time". I get the launch time for online orders, just doesn't make sense for retail.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
How long are people gonna have to wait in line if everybody who buys one gets time to set it up with a store employee?

I doubt most people will take that option. Most will just want to get out of the zoo as soon as possible.

If the Best Buy thing is true (100-150 units, with an emphasis on lesser units), then I'm guessing 20-ish for the top of the line 3G units (10 each ATT and VZW). That's not a good sign for trying to take the load off the Apple stores. Twenty could go in a few minutes.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't understand the 5pm launch time, though. So basically the stores will be open all day and people will be twiddling their thumbs, then 5 pm rolls around and they start selling them. Why not just have a "launch day" instead of a "launch time". I get the launch time for online orders, just doesn't make sense for retail.

Stores will actually close for a while to prep for the iPad 2. It'll be like the original iPhone launch.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I doubt most people will take that option. Most will just want to get out of the zoo as soon as possible.

If the Best Buy thing is true (100-150 units, with an emphasis on lesser units), then I'm guessing 20-ish for the top of the line 3G units (10 each ATT and VZW). That's not a good sign for trying to take the load off the Apple stores. Twenty could go in a few minutes.

And then when you think about the colors, it's actually fewer.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
So if Apple will sell them online early, will we be able to reserve online and pick up later at the store too? It'll be nice if we can reserve online and then show up at the store at 5 pm and they will have a separate line for those who reserved. Or will Bestbuy sell them online early too? I'd rather reserve online to be pick up at their store later too. :cool:

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
...So I live next to a Best Buy, but I'm also going to an Apple store Saturday morning for a Genius appointment... Where do I buy my iPad?... :)

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I don't think Apple did enough to make people flock to the stores on day one. I expect to be able to show up 30 mins before and get the model I want. I could be wrong though.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
So stupid. They just want the media coverage.

There is no reason why you cant preorder for delivery Friday other than they learned their lesson from the Verizon iPhone 4 where if there arent lines, riots, and chaos, it will be considered a failed launch.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'm having second thoughts even ordering online. I'm thinking I'll just be able to walk into a store tomorrow and get one without crazy lines.

applebro24

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Is anyone as anal about a new Apple product as I am when it comes to the battery? I like to fully charge it immediately after I open it up. I'm pretty sure this is is how it should be to get the best performance from your device.

Seems like the Personal Setup would be bad for batteries; they'll just take out your new iPad 2 and turn it on. Is it a myth that batteries need to be charged right away?

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Is anyone as anal about a new Apple product as I am when it comes to the battery? I like to fully charge it immediately after I open it up. I'm pretty sure this is is how it should be to get the best performance from your device.

Seems like the Personal Setup would be bad for batteries; they'll just take out your new iPad 2 and turn it on. Is it a myth that batteries need to be charged right away?

can't we just ask them politely not to set it up for us for I'm not that stupid to set it up myself? I want to be the first one to touch my iPad :rolleyes:

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Nice to have the official word about availability at other Apple retail outlets (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.).

can't we just ask them politely not to set it up for us for I'm not that stupid to set it up myself? I want to be the first one to touch my iPad :rolleyes:
Personal setup isn't required. You can walk out with an unopened box if that's your choice.

I hope that's the choice everyone makes where I plan to buy mine. :)

blueraja

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
I'm going for the 64gig one (have a 32gb first gen...ran out of room) so im not too worried...I dont really get why the 16 seems to be so popular but if that leaves 32 and 64's easier to get i hope it is the most popular tomorrow as well. I dont do camp outs or waiting in line hours early for anything.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008

Only true for older nickel cadmium batteries, not the lithium polymer one that's in the iPad.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I think that more than 125 units per store! That seems under par for the iPad. I would think at least 500 for Apple Stores.. and close to that for Best Buy, etc.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I'm going for the 64gig one (have a 32gb first gen...ran out of room) so im not too worried...I dont really get why the 16 seems to be so popular but if that leaves 32 and 64's easier to get i hope it is the most popular tomorrow as well. I dont do camp outs or waiting in line hours early for anything.

The 16GB is more popular because it costs less! I'm getting the 32GB... and I'm waiting for my boss to get the email saying what time we should come in. Hopefully right at five and be the first ones!

Only true for older nickel cadmium batteries, not the lithium polymer one that's in the iPad.

I didn't know that. Thanks! Makes me feel better.. I've always wondered.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
I don't think Apple did enough to make people flock to the stores on day one. I expect to be able to show up 30 mins before and get the model I want. I could be wrong though.

Same here. I plan on working till 5:00 (possibly come in early so I can leave early) and head to a best buy down the road and pick it up. And if that's not the case there's 2 or so other nearby best buy stores. And finally I can go to the apple store which is a little further away.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I think that more than 125 units per store! That seems under par for the iPad. I would think at least 500 for Apple Stores.. and close to that for Best Buy, etc.

The Apple stores get 2000+, depending on their volume. At least that was last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.