iPad 2 Backlight bleed - refund possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by arhtmac, Jul 18, 2011.

1. arhtmac macrumors newbie

Hello all, first time poster here with a quick question.

I've had my iPad 2 for a few months now and it's great. I use it mainly to take music and films back and forth when I travel for work and for this it is ideal. However, I freelance more and more now as a photographer and require a mobile computer that can back up my SDHC cards to external HDDs.

I've been suffering from the aforementioned backlight bleed and I've taken it into an apple store and was told I could get a replacement but I wanted to know if I was eligible to get a refund for it, with a view of probably using the money to get an 11.6'' macbook air to fulfill the travelling computer role as well as being able to back up my shots to HDDs during the lulls at weddings.

Anyone been able to secure a refund for this problem?

2. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

I think most gadgets have a 30 day refund policy (well, here in the UK they do). Keeping it for a few months and then wanting a refund is unlikely...

3. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

If you can't get a refund, maybe you could try to return or sell the replacement?

4. fastblack macrumors regular

You won't get a refund. Unless you bought it at target less then 90 days ago.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Really doubt you'll get a refund, but it's worth a shot (worst they can say is "no"). If they do give definite "No", then I'd suggest to them the possibility of returning it for some type of store credit that you can put towards the Macbook Air.

How you present your case to them will probably affect your chances too. If you stress the bleeding issue, and your overall dissatisfaction with the product, then hint at how you wished, if you had your time back, you would've just gotten a Macbook Air ... you might get the sympathy of the store manager on your side.

However, again, I'd still be surprised if it worked.

When you've exhausted all those attempts, one of your few remaining options would be to try to exchange it for one that doesn't have as much (or any) bleed, and then sell it on eBay. Then, use the proceeds from that sale to put towards a Macbook Air.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Assuming that you bought it at an Apple store, you will not get a return. Sell it on Craigslist or eBay, take the loss, buy an Air.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

Had the same problem, noticed it 3 days after purchase, got it exchanged. Hmm, this doesn't relate to your problem but oh well.