iPad 2 Backlight Issues affecting Video Camera

Discussion in 'iPad' started by downsouth00311, Mar 14, 2011.

1. downsouth00311 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let everyone know about this issue. I purchased a White 32GB Wifi iPad 2 on Friday and had to return it the next day.

Just like many others on here... I noticed the leak-through of the backlight when the screen was black or in a dark room. The leak-through on my iPad 2 wasn't too bad and I could likely live with it. However, the next day when I began to shoot some videos with my iPad 2... I noticed a very weird behavior. When I would pan from darker areas to lighter ones... the screen would flash with what I would call an almost thermal type image for a second. Not 100% of the screen but just the lighter areas. I thought maybe this was just happening with the filming... but sure enough it would show up on the videos too. I tried quite a few videos and got the same results.

I called Apple and they escalated me to 2nd level support without question. The tech said that she believed that the backlight leak-through might be causing my video issues. In other words... if the backlight wasn't properly sealed from the screen then it also may be leaking through to the camera and causing lighting issues and the odd effect I was seeing. Apple offered to swap out my iPad 2 but advised that I weight till after the rush since many Apple stores would be limited on quantity.

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Sounds like they are talking about backlight leak, which is not at all the same thing as backlight bleed.

3. brudog68 macrumors 6502

I noticed this when I was playing around with the camera one day myself. I didnt try to record video and see if this "thermal" look recorded though. Didnt think more about it til reading your post. I tried to re create it and could not.

Anyone else?