iPad 2 backlight leak. Has anyone has their iPad replaced?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CoolMacDude, Oct 10, 2011.

1. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I bought a 64gb white iPad 2 at launch. I wish I would have sent it back for the backlight bleed, but I didn't. I notice now that in low light situations it seems much worse. If I call applecare will they replace the screen or the entire unit or will they say its acceptable use.

I would be fine with either a screen replacement or a unit replacement.

2. cchris1216 macrumors newbie

ipad

I purchase a 32 gb ipad at launch and had the same backlight issues you are having. I brought the ipad to apple after 4 months of owning because I had enough, Apple replaced the ipad no prob. The new ipad I have as no backlight issues at all, very happy ipad customer now.

3. aberrero macrumors 6502a

4. brian2220 macrumors member

brian2220

Mine has some bad light bleed also but haven't had time to get it replaced again.
    Does anyone know if the models now have light bleed or not

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

All iPads have some amount of light leakage, be it iPad 1 or iPad 2. Yes, some people here will say they don't have any, but they just don't notice or crank the brightness in a dimly-lit room.

That said, how much leak there is will determine whether you feel it's satisfactory. Definitely some units are worse than others. If it's not too bad at a medium brightness in a dark room, I'd stay with it, since there's great risk the next unit you'll get will be worse.

Saying that, the HP TouchPad's IPS display has much worse light bleeding in my experience (two review units).

6. bryanjc macrumors regular

Yeah me too, this one is terrible that i have - 2nd one, i sold the first.

Wonder whether it's worth the bother i can only see it on black shades between and closing opening apps and movies etc. :confused: