iPad 2 battery hold

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ShrubbySoup, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ShrubbySoup macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Hey, I charged my iPad to 81% at 5 pm, I used it for 5 minutes then locked it by using the smart cover. I is it locked because when I opened it 2 hours later I was at the lock screen. At 7 pm as soon as I opened the cover the battery was at 30%. Is this usual or is my iPad 2 battery not holding?
    Thanks,Connor

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Not normal at all. Before going to the Apple Store, see if that happens again.
    Did you leave some running apps in the background? For example, were you downloading some big apps on the iPad?

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

While I agree it is not normal, it may have been caused by an app or location services that was stuck running in the background. This has happened to me a couple of times before on my iPhone 4.

Before taking it back to Apple I would perform a reset (which will close all running apps), recharge it and see if battery life improves over the next few cycles.

5. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

To be honest I have noticed that it wasn't holding its charge but there were only 2 apps open, music and twitter

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You could try power cycling it (let it run to 0, charge to 100) - if the problem is really that it's not displaying the true battery life that will recalibrate it. But I agree, if the methods in his thread don't work, take it to Apple.

7. ShrubbySoup thread starter macrumors regular

ShrubbySoup

Ok will do, it sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Will apple give me a new iPad or try to fix it, look for bugs etc...?

8. poloponies Suspended

There are certainly other reasons for it. My wife and I recently flew cross-country and she was pissed to see that her iPhone had a little over 10% charge left when we landed. Mine had 75% and we were both at 100% earlier that day. She forgot to put hers into "Airplane mode" so it was frantically searching for a connection for 5 hours while we were in flight, burning through the battery.