IPad 2 battery life issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rabdel12, Nov 10, 2011.

1. rabdel12 macrumors member

Hello everyone!

My iPad 2 seems to give me 6 hours of battery life with all background apps off, Ping off, and very few notification services. However, my brightness is on its maximum. I read somewhere people get 10 hours on maximum brightness and browsing safari but I'm only getting 6 hours or 3.5 minutes for every 1% depleted. Is this normal?

Also, my wifi keeps going from full to half even when close to wireless hub anywhere I go...what's the cause of this?

Thanks so much!

2. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

install the 5.0.1 update. Connect to iTunes, or goto Settings/ General/ Software Update for over the air wifi update.

3. rabdel12 thread starter macrumors member

I did and same exact battery life...how many hours are people getting with full brightness and browsing safari on wifi? Is 6 hours normal??

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Trying to diagnose others' battery problems can be very tricky. I'd suggest you focus on diagnosing the effect of brightness by setting it to 50% for a couple of days and keep track of the usage.

5. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Let your battery drain all the way down and do a full recharge and then see if your battery life has improved.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Full brightness? Yeah, sounds about right. Try 50% brightness and see how that goes.

7. rabdel12 thread starter macrumors member

I depleted the battery fully and charged it to 100% and it's still 6 hours on full brightness browsing safari. I just want to know if this is normal for most people and is Apples claim of 10 hours only applies to50% brightness with wifi on?

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

The 10-hour battery life is at default settings of about 50% brightness. I have yet to go above a 50% brightness level in regular use.

9. jsh1120, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Draining and fully recharging a lithium ion battery does not improve battery life. It does, however, improve the battery monitor's ability to calibrate itself.

This is in contrast to older battery technologies where fully discharging the battery and recharging is useful.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You may want to get your eyes checked. Do you you need full brightness to see the screen properly? I always have mine set to 50%, like the rest have stated and you will get a full days use easily. Whether that is 9 or 11 hours depends on what you are doing.

11. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

I dont leave the brightness all the way on unless I'm watching a movie. I can use my ipad all day and by the end I'll be left with 40% no matter what.

12. dave420 macrumors 65816

I thnk that is being a little hard on the person. The brightness required can vary tremendously depending on the lighting conditions you are using it in. In some locations 50% brightness is perfect for me. In the dark I use it at 0%. But one place I use it has fluorescent lights at a bad angle. There I need to set the brightness at 100%, or else the fingerprints are just way too visible and make the screen hard to see.

13. GDF, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

GDF macrumors regular

I keep mine at 100% and don't seem to have any battery issues.

14. rabdel12 thread starter macrumors member

Haha...my eyes are fine. I have to keep my brightness to 100% because I am always in the library and the flourescent lights used give me soo much glare on iPads screen. I just wanted to be sure that my iPad 2 on Full Brightness with WIFI on is normal at 6 hours because I saw a test on the iPad 2s battery life and they claimed full brightness with wifi on at 8hours and a half and this is the 3G model. Just wanted to see if everyone had the same artery life as me