iPad 2 battery life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whocaresit, Jan 9, 2011.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

I will be very disappointed if iPad 2 doesn't give at least 20 hours of battery life. Current iPad gives about 10 hours of battery. Second generation should double that, correct? So my expectations are quite reasonable. :cool:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Um, no. Why would you expect double battery life in only one year's time? Second gen doesn't mean double everything. The first to second gen iPod touch battery life only improved by 3 hours or so, as apple advertised, with little real world difference. The iPad already gets excellent battery life, and often exceeds the 10hr advertisement. I would expect at most 12 hours, if an increase at all.

3. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I wouldn't think so. A slight improvement maybe but nothing like double. How are you only getting 10 hours of life??? I use mine everyday all day and can go a day and a half easy, sometimes 2 full. That's web browsing,email,15-20/day, and using good reader to annotate my customer list as I see them. are you just going of the apple site specs because I think that's 10 hours of straight video.

4. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Well battery technology may have improved a bit, but then the hardware inside the iPad 2 will probably require more juice to keep working. So I'm guessing roughly the same battery life.

As was mentioned earlier, just cause it's the next model doesn't mean double everything. 10 hours is damn good already IMO.

6. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I think there comes a point where increasing the battery life isn't worth the costs. Yeah, I can see going to 12-15 hours in future revisions; but after that, is it really worth putting a larger and larger battery when you could be focusing on something else or decreasing costs? Who will actually take advantage of more than that?

7. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't really make batteries anyway. The only reason Apple has such fantastic battery life in their products is they choose to use LiPo batteries, which most manufacturers previously did not. (They are much more expensive) Li-ion and NiCD/NiMH batteries have much poorer life, and are also susceptible to all of those nasty battery draining habits like letting it die, charging it from the halfway point, leaving it plugged in, etc. None of this is true with LiPos and more importantly, they stay charged for a long time! However, there is no real improved technology in LiPos since the 1st gen iPad, so the only thing they could do, is make the batteries bigger, which probably won't happen simply because of the added weight (almost ALL of the iPads weight is the batteries.)

Chances are they will implement some power saving features at best to squeeze out another hour or two, like CPU power saving features like your laptop CPU uses (underclocking itself when not being fully utilized, shutting off cores, etc.)

20 hours, heck no. That kind of a CHANGE would require a completely new battery technology which, I'm not sure exists. Now, they COULD use R/C aircraft grade LiPos, but uh, we have to have special bags to carry those in because of how explosive they are, and if left in the sun too long they can go boom, in a big way. They also require chargers that are $300+, and did I mention that they are REALLY REALLY dangerous? I SERIOUSLY doubt we'll see those in an iPad, BUT I do think they could give you 20 hours of battery life (If they can keep an EDF Turbine spinning at 100k RPMs for half an hour.. I'm just saying).

-John

8. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

You're not satisfied with 10 hours of battery life? Dollars to donuts, no other tablet will come close to that. iOS is pretty efficient when it comes to power usage. Motorola can make their Xoom look as fancy as they want, but when it comes to true innovation you simply can't beat what Apple puts out (which is why they're so anal about product development secrecy).

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm almost certain he's being sarcastic......I hope he's being sarcastic

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

I don't know of any product of that size that actually gives 20 hours. Few computers claim 24 hours or more but in real it's more like 10-14 of use (unless you dim your brightness to 0, turn of wifi and BT, run only 1 program, blah blah).

10 hours is a very good battery life. I fail to understand why anyone would want more... even 12 is a stretch IMO.

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

In this case I'm totally looking forward to the iPad 3 with 40 hours of battery life provided by its onboard nuclear generator :D

12. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Duh, but he's talking about iPad 2.

13. TomCondon macrumors regular

14. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I think a lot of people would be annoyed if the only new feature was a 20hour battery instead of all the RAM and cameras. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice but just impractical to implement into a consumer product that is trying to keep the cost down.

15. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I think that it's far down on apples list. Again, Apple list it as this;

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
    Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using 3G data network

That's sitting down and using it for 10 hours STRAIGHT. No one I know does this unless you're on a overseas flight. Even then it will last the entire time. Real world stats for me are; 100% @ 5:30am - 35-40% at 10:30-11pm.

Thera using it all day. Not sarin at it all day but using it constantly. It probably goes in an out of sleep 45 times if not more a day. I'd give up a hour-hour and a half for some better features. Im sure they could still make their claim of 10hours easily.

16. dudulang macrumors member

I think that the only thing that will be doubled in iPad 2 is RAM.;)

17. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

OP is a MacRumors veteran.

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Hahaha, I love how people are taking the OP seriously.

I'd be fine with slightly worse battery life if it meant faster and a bit lighter. But like 8-10 hours, not something like 6. The current 10-12 is great, but I never need it.

19. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Then you're going to be disappointed. Better start looking elsewhere. I wouldn't except anything over 12 hours.

Doubling it is WAY, WAY too much. That shouldn't even be in the conversation.

20. d Fusion b macrumors member

d Fusion b

Fixed it for you.

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

ipad battery life is fantastic. ill be happy if we get the same with a significant spec bump in power.

22. tandeh macrumors regular

23. whitesands macrumors newbie

Its never going to have less than 10hrs, maybe 10+ on iPad2, 10hrs is pretty good, check the competion.

24. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

The battery on the current iPad is great. I agree I'll take the current usage with a bump in RAM.