Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronaldmcdonald

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Based on what I've been reading, it seems that Apple recommends we discharge the battery once a month to keep the meter accurate...But what I couldn't find the answer to was how far do they mean? Keep it going until it auto shuts off or just recharge it once its close to 2-3% of battery life remaining?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Based on what I've been reading, it seems that Apple recommends we discharge the battery once a month to keep the meter accurate...But what I couldn't find the answer to was how far do they mean? Keep it going until it auto shuts off or just recharge it once its close to 2-3% of battery life remaining?

Run it all the way down.

"For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

They really should sticky a thread like this.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Question:
"Keep it going until it auto shuts off or just recharge it once its close to 2-3% of battery life remaining?"

Answer:
"completely running it down"

How does it not answer the question?

Because he asked whether completely running it down means "Keep it going until it auto shuts off or just recharge it once its close to 2-3% of battery life remaining?"

An answer would have been "keep it going until it reaches 1%" or whatever. He didn't need to be referred back to the same vague Apple source where he obviously already came from. Another answer could have been "I don't know" which is apparently the case.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Because he asked whether completely running it down means "Keep it going until it auto shuts off or just recharge it once its close to 2-3% of battery life remaining?"

An answer would have been "keep it going until it reaches 1%" or whatever. He didn't need to be referred back to the same vague Apple source where he obviously already came from. Another answer could have been "I don't know" which is apparently the case.

"COMPLETELY RUNNING IT DOWN."

How do you interpret that?

Does it say charge when it is almost empty, or when it's at 10%?

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
"COMPLETELY RUNNING IT DOWN."

How do you interpret that?

Does it say charge when it is almost empty, or when it's at 10%?

It says neither of those things. Nor does it say run it until it's dead. I can list 10 things that it doesn't say. It could mean run it until it says the battery is low, which is 10%, it could mean run it until 5%, or 3% or 1%. To just regurgitate "completely running it down" gave no additional guidance to the OP that he didn't already have. If you had nothing to add, then a good option is say nothing.

Jimbogiant

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
For the sake of clarity for OP, "completely running it down" = letting it turn itself off for lack of power. Just play on it til it dies ;)

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
It says neither of those things. Nor does it say run it until it's dead. I can list 10 things that it doesn't say. It could mean run it until it says the battery is low, which is 10%, it could mean run it until 5%, or 3% or 1%. To just regurgitate "completely running it down" gave no additional guidance to the OP that he didn't already have. If you had nothing to add, then a good option is say nothing.

You should follow your own advice there. As miamialley stated, completely running it down is totally unambiguous.
It could mean run it until it says the battery is low, which is 10%
That's not completely run down now is it?,
it could mean run it until 5%, or 3% or 1%
Again, >1% is not complete.

Not sure why you're being so combative...

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
LMAO i sware some people man. there are plenty of links out there and yes it should be sticky ... and "running it down" does make sense and answers the question!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.