iPad 2 Battery sucked dry overnight!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacSnackin, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MacSnackin macrumors newbie

Hey people-

Last night I was reading The Daily on my iPad until about 10pm and there was 94% battery left. Today I opened up the smart cover to reveal a battery level of 16%! What happened?

I have push notifications for email and wifi on, but geeze, what happened to 30 day standby?

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a cause to think I have a defective unit?

Enlighten me!

2. livspop macrumors regular

I have noticed that my battery (32mb wifi/3g Verizon) seems to plunge a lot more quickly that it did on the iPad1 with the same amount of usage. Especially from 100% to 90%. I'm hoping it just needs some conditioning and it's not a problem with this unit, but I think it may be.

I should also say that the 3G is turned off and not active. Wifi is on and has a full connection...

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The Daily keeps the iPad awake (not sure about Smart Cover though) and if you just closed the cover it probably stayed on.

4. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Did you leave it with an active app on or go to the home screen first?

I know I did that with my ipad1 (no 2 *yet* for me) and I left an app up that used internet and it sucked the battery from like 90 to 20...

5. MacSnackin thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so ALWAYS go to the home screen before closing the smart cover if not using for a while. I will try that, thanks!

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The Daily constantly updates so you need to shut it down from the multitask bar. Also make sure The Daily's notification preference is off.

7. JohnDG macrumors member

Set it to Airplane mode before putting to it sleep.

jdg

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Not sure about the iPad, but with the iphone, just putting the device into sleep mode, does not automatically shut down active apps, so battery continues to drain.

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I've had something similar happen before. Every once in a while an app will just burn up battery in the background. A restart will fix the problem.

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Hmm, I don't think this is true, otherwise I would not have to wait 30 seconds for it to download when I open it each morning. I never shut down any apps as they are automatically killed as memory is needed elsewhere.

Apps that are downloading a file can run in the background, or an app can run any process in the background for up to ten minutes, but I don't think the daily does either.

But I would imagine leaving the daily open in the foreground is what caused the battery drain.

11. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

This is very serious. There are a couple things I would like sucked dry overnight and my iPad is not one if them.

12. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

:eek:

13. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Why would you restart the entire phone for just one app running in the background? Just close the app in multitasking.

14. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

There is no such thing as an app "continuously updating in the background". iOS API doesn't allow for that. Some say it's what makes iOS "multitasking" inferior to Android.

15. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Lol :D

16. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Good one. :D

17. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

You need to make sure to set the iPad cover lock to "on" in general settings if you wish for the cover to turn the iPad off and on. Otherwise it doesn't turn off the iPad when you put it on and you'll come back to a drained or dead battery.