Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kontext

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Hello everyone! :)
I got an iPad yesterday and generally, I'm simply amazed by how great it is (in fact, I'm typing this post on it right now. :D).
Still, there are two things I noticed shortly after I got it, that conern me a little.
For once, I have a small light bleeding issue on the lower right side of the screen, but that doesn't bother that much. The other Problem is, that the bezel seems to be not properly "attached" in the area right from the Homebutton. When I push it there (it discovered it by accidentally missing the Homebutton... ._.), you can hear a so somewhat creaking sound.
It seems as if the glue (or whatever they hold that thing together with ^_^) doesn't bond the bezel properly at this particular area so when I press it together and let go, the creaking comes from the bezel tearing away from the glue. :-/

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can you tell me whether or whether not it's worth - and possible - to replace my iPad? I didn't buy at an Apple Store but at a (official) retail store. And do you think I'm able to get an replacement in the first place since there are people all over the place that didn't get an iPad after all (though I think it's not as bad here in Germany as in the US) - so I think Apple (or the retailers) would rather sell any iPad they got and not give me one as an replacement?

I'd be very happy if you could help me. :D

Kindly yours,
Kontext

P.S.: Pease excuse my poor english-skills... I'm still learning. :)

Last edited:

MasonH

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Hello everyone! :)
I got an iPad yesterday and generally, I'm simply amazed by how great it is (in fact, I'm typing this post on it right now. :D).
Still, there are two things I noticed shortly after I got it, that conern me a little.
For once, I have a small light bleeding issue on the lower right side of the screen, but that doesn't bother that much. The other Problem is, that the bezel seems to be not properly "attached" in the area right from the Homebutton. When I push it there (it discovered it by accidentally missing the Homebutton... ._.), you can hear a so somewhat creaking sound.
It seems as if the glue (or whatever they hold that thing together with ^_^) doesn't bond the bezel properly at this particular area so when I press it together and let go, the creaking comes from the bezel tearing away from the glue. :-/

Has anyone else experienced this problem and can you tell me whether or whether not it's worth - and possible - to replace my iPad? I didn't buy at an Apple Store but at a (official) retail store. And do you think I'm able to get an replacement in the first place since there are people all over the place that didn't get an iPad after all (though I think it's not as bad here in Germany as in the US) - so I think Apple (or the retailers) would rather sell any iPad they got and not give me one as an replacement?

I'd be very happy if you could help me. :D

Kindly yours,
Kontext

P.S.: Pease excuse my poor english-skills... I'm still learning. :)

---- Your English is fine. Much better than a lot of the native speakers over here;)

Sounds like this will bother you so your choices are:

1. Return to store for a refund and hope they have more or start looking elsewhere for another.

2. Take it to an Apple store where they will swap it out for another BUT it will then have a new serial # and you won't be able to get a refund after this. However the Apple stores seem helpful even with multiple swaps (if the next one you get has horrible screen bleed, etc)

Good luck - too bad buying this thing has turned into such a hassle.

Kontext

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply! :D

Today, I talked to the retail store as well as the nearest Apple-store (which i still a good 2 hours away from where I live) and they both assured me that they wouldn't have any new iPads until probably next week so I called eventually Applecare and ordered a swap via UPS. I've waited for iPad 2 since iPad 1 was announced so I think I can handle waiting for approximately another 4-5 work days. ^_^
It was funny how the Applecare-Guy was almost furious about the problem I described. He talked about how this was completely against Apple's policy of creating first class products and how it would be out of any discussion that I should get a new iPad. It's times like this when I know that Apple definitely is worth that little extra money (which isn't even that much 'extra' in case of the iPad and it's competitor's prices). :)

Yours kindly
Kontext

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.